[telecom] VOIP Issue

I have been having a rather severe issue with my VOIP service for quite some time (months). My VOIP provider is not willing to go the distance to help me resolve it. I have had cases open with my VOIP provider, the equipment vendor of the VOIP hardware that I use, and the technical support for the router that I use at home (the router is not intended for residential service. It is something that would be used by a small to mid-sized business and is quite configurable].

Everyone is pointing the finger elsewhere. No one is owning the problem.

I did get the router support to agree to a phone meet with my VOIP provider. But the VOIP provider is refusing to participate. This was a very effective means of resolving these issues [that I used when I worked with other vendors] when I worked on MCI WATS and data lines. We always resolved the issue this way. It certainly was better than each player denying the problem was theirs and pointing to another player.

Nothing is more frustrating to a customer than the the finger pointing scenario.

The audio quality is fine [once we can finally hear each other].

The issue is that [when I answer an incoming call on one of my VOIP extensions] it takes fifteen to twenty seconds after I answer before I can hear the calling party. When this happens, the other extensions keep ringing [even though I have answered the incoming call] until I can hear the caller.

The same is true when I make an outgoing call, it is fifteen to twenty seconds after the called party answers before they can hear me.

Often, the caller or the called party hangs up before the conversation can begin.

Does anyone have another suggestion as to how I might be able to resolve this issue?

Regards,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson
Loading thread data ...

Another voip provider?

Reply to
Julian Thomas

According to Julian Thomas snipped-for-privacy@jt-mj.net:

The provider is Callcentric, whose technical quality is quite good, and who has given me good support when I've been able to ask specific questions.

Fred has a whole bunch of VoIP equipment behind a router that has a custom configuration. I've suggested he unplug everything, then plug it back in one item at a time and see when it breaks.

My guess is it's either a configuration issue with devices colliding or a busted VoIP phone.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Let me clear things up.

I had a single HT814 that provides four RJ11 jacks each on a different extension. That's the only VOIP device that was on my VOIP service when this fiasco began. So disconnecting one by one was not an option. It's all or none.

I have since added two brand new GXP2135s. One of them is stationed in my bedroom and seems to be cutting through more quickly. I need to run another Ethernet cable to station the other one. Can't do it until my larger trip guard arrives as the one I have now is full.

I found the trip guard on the Home Depot Web site:

formatting link
[I post the link in case some of you might need a bigger one]. It has to be special ordered as it is not something they normally stock in their stores.

I have three Ethernet cables and a zip cord in the one I have now. The new one is capable of carrying ten Ethernet cables. It allows for future expansion [though I will never get to ten].

Since the trip guard is across the front entrance to my apartment [and I have to run the new cable that way], I have to wait for the new one to arrive at my local Home Depot before I can run the cable.

As soon as I can station the remaining phone where I want it to go [on my computer desk], I am going to disconnect the HT814 and see what happens then.

Just thought I would clear this up.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.