[telecom] Privacy, Please: This Is Only for the Two of Us

Privacy, Please: This Is Only for the Two of Us

By JENNA WORTHAM June 2, 2012

SOME friends were gushing recently about a new mobile application called Pair, intended for people in a relationship.

Initially, I didn't see the appeal of the app, which lets the two partners send messages and photos back and forth. The idea of adding another service to the daily routine of Twitter, Facebook and their ilk seemed exhausting. And wouldn't it be just as easy to exchange e-mails, text messages or, better yet, just flirt face to face?

Curious, I tried it - even though I'm single. I recruited a friend to help me test it. And, after a few hours, the app started to grow on me. Something was thrilling about the secret little notes that Shaun, my temporary beau, and I sent to each other throughout the day.

The secrecy was welcome. We weren't cluttering up anyone else's feeds on Twitter, and didn't have to worry about random high school friends seeing and commenting on our exchanges on Facebook. In addition, there were gestures distinct to the app. It let us share information about our locations, and to exchange doodles, to-do lists and virtual nudges - all conveying that "I'm thinking about you."

The app highlights the best elements of social networking - the warm, fuzzy feeling of being connected to people you care about when you're physically nowhere near them. And it says it eliminates some of the worst - the worry about who can see the content you're posting and how they may interpret it.

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

I don't think I need an "app" to keep my electronic conversations private: it's trivially easy to encrypt email, and there's no chance of a vendor listening in.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

She never really answered her own question: How is this better than using those traditional means of private communication?

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Probably because you may no longer "accidentally" be able to send extremely private messages to the wrong destinations, I assume that this "app" locks you into the fixed destination to avoid those oh-so embarrassing on-line mistakes that are regularly revealed.

Reply to
David Clayton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.