[telecom] Fax Modem gadgets

HP made a great gadget called a PrinterPal. It answered your fax line, and printed the faxes on your existing laser printer.

Alas, printers now have USB, not parallel ports.

Does anyone make a similar gadget with USB output?

{No, I do not want a "fax modem" needing a separate computer....}

Reply to
David Lesher
Loading thread data ...

Your best option is that many of the all-in-one printer/scanner officejets are also FAX machines as well. Most are inkjet, there are some lasers.

The problem with more modern printers with USB interfaces is that there isn't a standard printer language like HP PCL like most lasers had back in the day with parallel ports. So, even if there was such a box, it would be able to control only a tiny imited set of printers. The took the smarts out of the printer to make them cheaper and more disposable.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

The usual thing these days is an all in one printer/scanner/fax with USB, wired Ethernet, or wifi. They can generally be configured to print incoming faxes, or send them to the computer.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

"Sort-of".

They're _built-in_ on many/most "multi-function"/"all-in-one" printers.

As a 'true stand-alone device', I don't know of any. Unless it sits 'in line' _between_ a computer and printer, with 'pass through' of data from the computer to the printer, it would just be a way to turn an 'expensive' (not a dumb 'winprinter') printer into a dedicated fax machine. Cheaper to buy a 'real' fax machine, or o 'all in one".

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Even the original HP PrinterPal devices had failings you may not recall: according to the HP page

: The HP PrinterPal (C2970A) is compatible with the following HP Deskjet printers: : HP Deskjet 500, 500C, 520, 540, 550C, 560C, 600, 600C, 660C, and 660Cse printers. : : The HP PrinterPal (C2971A) is compatible with the following HP LaserJet, Deskjet, and : other printers: HP LaserJet III, IIID, IIIP, 4L, 4ML, 4P, 4MP, 4, 4M, 4 Plus,

4M Plus, 5P, 5MP, : 5L, 5L FS printers, HP Deskjet 310, 320, 340, 850C, 855C, 1200C, 1600C, 1600CM printers, : HP Copyjet Printer/Copier. : : NOTE: ... The HP PrinterPal is not compatible with any Macintosh-only printers, : such as HP Deskwriter printers or PostScript (R)-only printers.

Not USB, but actual "HP PrinterPal" devices are still available, at prices ranging, seemingly, from $60.- to $280.- and up, from various resellers, according to the very frugal froogle.google.com purchasing-search site.

Cherers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

The idea is to *not* have to buy, power & make room for Yet Another Printer. But thanks to all the responders.

Reply to
David Lesher

Every "all-in-one" I've seen, including the one I use today, is really a "not-quite-all-in-one". The gadget can take documents from the PC and print them or fax them someplace; it can copy a paper document; or it can send or receive a fax to/from a paper document. It can even scan a paper document and send it to the PC. But it canNOT receive a fax and send the result to the PC. I have to receive the incoming fax as a paper document, then scan it in manually before the PC will accept it.

Why are there no true All-in-Ones?

Reply to
John David Galt

There are. *grin*

The Brother MFC-8690 (and cousins), for example, can be configured to send received faxes to a computer. A full-blown 'fax to email' capability.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.