Does any wireless print server work?

After reading horror stories on groups about most wireless print servers being incompatible with the printer, failing to provide claimed WPA capability and manufacturer refusal to publish a compatibility list, I'm wondering if any manufacturer provides a server that works?

I want one for a Laserjet 1100 and one for a Canon S800.

Can you recommend a wireless print server that delivers what the hype promises?

--David

Reply to
J David Ellis
Loading thread data ...

J David Ellis cried out

for the HP, visit HP's website and look at the differnt models of the JetDirect...

Reply to
Rosco

J David Ellis hath wroth:

The HP LaserJet 1100 has both USB and parallel ports. While USB is easier to cable, it had driver "issues" which you've apparently experienced. My luck with USB print servers has been dismal.

Most of the slightly older parallel port print servers will work. Make sure that it had bi-directional support (IEEE-1284) on the parallel port interface or the Windoze will not get proper status information. I have a customer with an office full of HP1100, 1200, and 1300 printers that uses a mix of Netgear PS104, PS110, HP300x, and other print servers. However, these are not wireless. There is one printer (not sure of model), on a roll around cart, that uses a Dlink wireless print server. I think it's one of these:

formatting link
formatting link
I'm not sure which.

Your Canon S800 is about 5 years old and also has a parallel port. The same advice as before. Use the parallel port and make sure the print server does IEEE-1284. If you insist on USB, you might calculate the cost of the print server (about $75) against the cost of a new printer with built in wireless.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

There is also

formatting link
I could only see wpa-psk in Uk f/ware(odd!) Compatibility list Long:-
formatting link
formatting link
Laserjet 1100 is mentioned but not the S800 They also have the usual warning about only the print function working on multi-function printers.

Reply to
Bob II

Thanks for the pointer. At hp.com there's an "HP Jetdirect ew2400 802.11g Wireless Print Server" that lacks a parallel port for my Laserjet 1100.

What are the chances the ew2400/LJ1100 would work with a parallel-to-USB2 cable?

Reply to
J David Ellis

For best results with HP printers, use a genuine HP JetDirect printer server; e.g., HP Jetdirect ew2400 (J7951A), or wired JetDirect (e.g., HP Jetdirect

170x) on a wireless Ethernet bridge.
Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.