Re: Using Two ADSL Internet Connections Simultaneously

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

>> Here is the problem, >> I have two telephone lines. I want to make both of these lines ADSL >> connections to the internet and use these connections to provide >> internet access to several wireless laptop computers. A maximum of >> about 20 laptops would be connected to the system at once. I would >> like the laptops to be able to use both lines simultaneously so that I >> don't have one line overloaded and one underloaded (ie: I want to >> balance the traffic on the lines at any given time). >> Anyone have any suggestions on how to set up something like this? >> -Jonathan > Obtain a Linux server, connect each DSL line to a separate Ethernet > card, and modify its route table to give equal weight to each line. > You'll need a third card for your wireless AP or other LAN connections.

This approach only solves "part" of the problem, namely 'outgoing' traffic.

"> I know nothing about setting up a server, so please pardon my

ignorance. Is there any reason why it needs to be a linux server?

No, it *doesn't*have*to*be* "Linux".

Could it be Windows?

It _could_.

*BUT* the 'standard' routing code _in_the_kernel_ of most operating systems does =not= support multiple equal-priority routes to the same destination, *with* rotating use of those routes on a per-packet basis.

Thus, you are _very_probably_ going to have to modify the relevant pieces of the O/S kernel to accomplish this 'ping-pong' load-balancing.

Doing those modification is _much_ easier if you have the source-code for the O/S available.

If you can get access from Microsoft, go for it.

Where can I get further information about setting up a server and > modifying the route tables?

"If you have to ask ..." about basics like that, you should _not_ be attempting this on your own. This kind of exotic tweaking _does_ call for a "guru". Hire a professional to explain to you what this approach _will_ accomplish, and what it will *not* accomplish. There are a _lot_ of things to take into consideration that have not even been _touched_ on in this discussion, before concluding that this approach is viable for what you "really" want to accomplish. e.g. do you want to load-balance 'incoming' or 'outgoing' traffic, or "both"?

Also, what proportion of the total traffic will be 'incoming', and how much will be 'outgoing'? Also _where_ will the 'far end' of the traffic be going -- is it "anywhere on the Internet" (as in a 'Internet cafe' environment), or is it all to a _single_ place (as in a 'remote' office, just needing connectivity back to the big computers at 'headquarters')? Will this be TCP traffic, or UDP traffic? will TCP 'connections' be long-lived, or very transient?

*ALL* of those things affect the nature of the 'solution' to load-balancing traffic loads that is 'right' for _your_ situation.
William Warren wrote: >> snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: >>> Here is the problem, >>> I have two telephone lines. I want to make both of these lines ADSL >>> connections to the internet and use these connections to provide >>> internet access to several wireless laptop computers. A maximum of >>> about 20 laptops would be connected to the system at once. I would >>> like the laptops to be able to use both lines simultaneously so that I >>> don't have one line overloaded and one underloaded (ie: I want to >>> balance the traffic on the lines at any given time). >>> Anyone have any suggestions on how to set up something like this? >>> -Jonathan >> Obtain a Linux server, connect each DSL line to a separate Ethernet >> card, and modify its route table to give equal weight to each line. >> You'll need a third card for your wireless AP or other LAN connections. >> Best of luck. >> William
Reply to
Robert Bonomi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.