Re: Troubles With Computers' Daylight Shift

>> >>> Tech showed up today to fix the clock on the XP (SP1) boxes.

>> Why on God's green earth are you still running SP1? Do you realize how >> many security hotfixes you don't have installed on those boxes? > We don't have admin rights so we can't do updates. I did ask the tech > why we aren't on SP2 and he replied "SP2 causes problems". I then > told him it has been a while since SP2 has been out, no? He said > "yeah" and left it at that. My guess is "big brother" ordered no > machines to be upgraded to SP2 unless absolutely necessary. > At the end of next week I'll ask people in the main office (I am off > site) if any machines are on DST. Hopefully they will come up with a > plan that doesn't include "just wait until 02:00 on the first Sunday > in April" :0)

Your tech just doesn't want to be bothered, that's all.

And there's a way around the adm> >> Our Debian boxes worked just fine, but we had to patch a couple of

> older RH7.3 boxes. > Here's the way it went for me: > ** Suse 10: nothing required, it shipped out of the box with the > changes. > ** Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3: only needed to update the appropriate > RPM package. > ** Red Hat 8 and 9: too old to have updated packages, end-of-life > products, and therefore had to download the tzdata tarballs and > compile from source. Only took a few minutes for each server. > ** Windows XP - there were some client machines that didn't update > properly for whatever reason (all SP2, btw). Ours at home ... all > three of them ... did. > ** Windows 2000 - have to manually update DST data, but it's not > difficult to do. >> Same for me. Sounds like his host info changed and the server doesn't >> recognize it. Time to hose the entry for his login in >> /etc/sshd/known.hosts > That's it. Although PuTTY is a Windows client, so the file is > somewhere else. I forgot about known_hosts :)

No -- I meant on the server side. If you clear your machines entry on the server it'll then re-set the key.

Reply to
T
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.