Re: Troubles With Computers' Daylight Shift

Few woes mark computers' daylight shift

> By BRIAN BERGSTEIN, AP Technology Writer > Mon Mar 12, 4:27 PM ET > > Most home PCs got the time patches sent automatically, but users > without automatic updates who now sport erroneous clocks should visit > their providers' Web sites such as
formatting link

========

Tech showed up today to fix the clock on the XP (SP1) boxes. He was scratching his head wondering why he was called to change the system clock so I showed him how us lowly users didn't have permission to do so. He signs on each machine, bumps the clock ahead 1 hour and heads downstairs to do more boxes. Comes back up only to see the time reverted back an hour. Tries it again, same thing. Tries changing it in the BIOS, weird happenings as the computer would boot with DST in effect, then about 10 seconds later it would go back one hour. Goes to M$ to apply any critical updates, same thing. He *knows* he read something somewhere about the problem, so he Googles away and sees KB931836. Applies the patch and finally everything is working. Burns the file to a CD and fixes the other six computers in the building. That still leaves around 4,000 to do :0) I'm just glad they sent a tech over that figured it out. Support was still insisting they were applying patches remotely. Considering it was Friday and no-one was on DST I don't think that was happening.

Oh yeah as to

formatting link
- it says for us corporate workers to call tech support, so that's what I did. I guess M$ assumes your tech support actually has basic knowledge of some sort :-/

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: That is _exactly_ what was happening here (in addition to puTTY's complaint). I can go into the clock settings and bump my time around but then in ten seconds give or take when I happen to look at the clock again it had on its own gone back to the old time. But I got clued in when I quit worrying about the time as such and instead manually set the date ahead _three months_ or some such; now look at the clock; all is okay. At first I would get a message on screen saying 'clock out of synch by some (gross) amount of time. Should I reset it or shut down the time server?' Then I unticked the warning box for that and the clock would very sneakily reset itself to the old time without bothering to warn me; obviously the computer knew best ... PAT]
Reply to
Duh_OZ
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.