Re: Spam Surge Drives Net Crime Spree

[ snip ]

Interesting. I assume that a message with an image from someone I

> don't know is likely spam and bounce it with an appropriate error.

Unless you're doing this at the initial SMTP server contact, please stop. If you're making the bounces based on the reply-to or return or "from" addresses, those are quite likely forged, and all a bounce to them is doing is making things worse.

_____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Well, a little bit of guerilla (or do you say 'gorilla') warfare always feels good. As many of you may know, my bane in life is a dozen or more spams/scams each day from PayPal imposters. Some of them are simple requests to 'confirm my identity' least my PayPal account be closed, but lately they are trying a new routine where I am advised that 'I have sent payment in the amount of several hundred dollars' to some innocent bystander company, and 'if this is in dispute, please contact the 'PayPal Team' by sending all my identification to them, etc. What I have been doing is emailing the innocent bystander company with a demand letter for 'full refund' of the 'money sent to them in error' by PayPal. And as 'proof' that they did get the money I enclose a copy of the shyster/huckster's letter in which _he_ purports to be the 'PayPal Team'. I just use a template letter I keep on file for it. Naturally, I also send the original charlatan's letter to me (telling me [a] how my account is closed pending correct ID or [b] advising me that some outrageous sum of momey was paid on my behalf) to ' snipped-for-privacy@paypal.com' for their handling as well. Last I noticed, PayPal and the innocent bystanders were banging on each other pretty well. I suggest we all do what we can to make internet commerce as difficult and discouraging as possible; hopefully it will go away entirely sometime in the future. PAT]
Reply to
Danny Burstein
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.