Re: Spam Surge Drives Net Crime Spree

>> I assume that a message with an image from someone I

>> don't know is likely spam and bounce it with an appropriate error. > People who "bounce" messages only make the volume of traffic higher > and contribute to the spam problem by sending their "helpful" > bounces back to the forged sender address where the bounce is just > more spam for the person who never actually sent the message.

No, a delivery error message is not spam. And it is not sent "to the forged sender address" or for that matter sent "to" any address at all.

The universe would be a much nicer place if all bounces stopped > happening :-).

No, it would not. Lack of an indication that mail has failed to be delivered makes the system far less useful for anything other than spam.

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Danny Burste> >> Interesting. I assume that a message with an image from someone I >> don't know is likely spam and bounce it with an appropriate error. > Unless you're doing this at the initial SMTP server contact, please > stop.

Of course I'm doing it at the initial SMTP server contact. I'm lucky enough to be able to do that because I have my own server. Many are not so fortunate, though, and I would not quickly deny them their bounces.

If you're making the bounces based on the reply-to or return or > "from" addresses, those are quite likely forged, and all a bounce to > them is doing is making things worse.

Oh, good, then SPF is the solution. (ducks)

Dan Lanciani

Reply to
Dan Lanciani
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.