Re: Sky-high travel phone bills nearly bust house payment [Telecom]

Take what happened to P. Morgan Brown when his wife decided to take a

> spur-of-the-moment vacation to Indonesia. > Too bad she happened to be in one of the handful of countries that > has a mobile network compatible with Verizon's.

That might have been the case years ago, but Verizon sells several devices (phones/smart phones)that are hybrid GSM/CDMA that will basically work anywhere there's a roaming agreement on CDMA or GSM networks.

Reply to
Joseph Singer
Loading thread data ...

Oh, sure, but considering that it was a spur-of-the-moment trip and she clearly knew nothing about international roaming, I doubt she had one of those hybrid phones. Also, if she'd bought a hybrid phone they would surely have sold her an international roaming package to go with it which would have brought her $8,000 bill down to a reasonable $5,000.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Hahaha

I'm still using a GSM 850/900/1800/1900 (Quadband), one of the early basic models with Bluetooth. It would have worked on any of the major frequencies used by European, American, or Canadian systems. Basic GSM phones sold in the US often came with only one of the European frequencies. (Are any countries still using 400 or 450 MHz?) No, I wasn't sold an international package.

I have leads on companies in Europe that would sell pre-paid service. It's cheaper to buy it after arriving than before leaving, so not that much planning ahead is required.

Never texted in my life. Hell, the phone doesn't even have a camera.

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman

Oh, like the Moto V620 I have here in my pocket in England with an O2 SIM. Works great. Works OK with an AT&T SIM in the US, too.

They all do. Tell me where you're going and I can make some suggestions.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.