Re: Should I Switch to Vonage?

It was a dark and stormy night when Herb Ste>> Had you been having a heart attack, it would have actually been your

>> LAST problem. And what's you option when the power goes out? > There's all sorts of levels of service. What do you do if 911 doesn't > work? (What would you have done before 911 was introduced?)

You would have dialed "0" for operator, and the operator would have dispatched the emergency call.

What do you do if the power is out?

If you have a traditional wireline phone, you do exactly what you do if the power is not out; the telephone system is independent from commercial power generation in this regard (power is supplied by batteries at the central office; that's why it's 48VDC).

Voice over IP is not "a little less reliable"; it's enormously less reliable. Despite this, I have Vonage service at my home; but, having worked in telephony for a long time, I understand the risks. One ought not minimize them for others who have less technical knowledge.

Thor Lancelot Simon snipped-for-privacy@rek.tjls.com

"We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others." - H.L.A. Hart

Reply to
Thor Lancelot Simon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.