Re: Public Wants Court to Okay Wiretaps

You mean the checks and balances that are protecting the non-citizens

> who apparently have no rights?

What a strange, if thoroughly modern, point of view. What, exactly, makes you think that non-citizens of a given polity are entitled to respect for any "rights" its own citizens enjoy when they choose, without the same obligations of those citizens, to reside within it?

Careful if you decide to haul in some kind of hoary civics-book "natural rights" theory; earlier in your own message you made it _very_ clear that you believe that it's perfectly legitimate to extend some "rights" (you cited voting rights as an example) to some people but not to others. What will you do next, I wonder, tell us that God gives certain rights -- rights that it's obvious to _you_ that God gives in this way, and we ought to all trust you about it -- to all, and that none can legitimately take them away? A fine answer for the seventeenth century; a rather worse one, I fear, for the twenty-first.

Thor Lancelot Simon snipped-for-privacy@rek.tjls.com

"We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others." - H.L.A. Hart

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Leaving God out of the discussion, I would answer by saying human decency requires that certain liberties and rights be granted to everyone. We _are_ supposed to be a better place to live than Iraq, are we not? I thought it was very odd how after all the complaints many Americans -- or rather United States residents -- made about complaints in Iraq at that one infamous prison that as soon as _they_ (the USA people) took control over there, things stayed as they were or even got worse. And on this side of the water, in Guantanomo, Cuba the USA administration set up their prison here based on the same concepts as the infamous one in Iraq. I used to believe that America was a free country, but no longer. PAT]
Reply to
Thor Lancelot Simon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.