Re: Dialing 311? Hold That Call!

Monty Solomon posted Kenneth Pogran of Lexington MA's

> comment to the Boston Globe: >

formatting link

>> I believe that using 311 as the telephone access code for the >>> centralized request line is not a good idea in 2006. 311 works >>> only if all callers in the city can reach it -- if it's "routable" >>> in telecom industry lingo. > and then Thor Lancelot Simon ( snipped-for-privacy@panix.com) replies: >> This is nonsense. 311 is used in some of the most competitive >> telephone markets in the country, including New York City -- >> and customers of all carriers can reach it just fine. > It's NOT nonsense! > Just because 311 apparantly works "fine" in New York City among > various carriers and service providers doesn't necessarily mean that > it will work just as fine everywhere else it has been implemented.

If it wasn't implemented by idiots, it does. You could make the exact same complaint about 911 -- why don't you?

Hint: it's easy to spread Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt if you don't know what you're talking about. I've spent enough time staring at enough switchgear and enough protocol analyzers in my career to have a pretty good idea how routing for N11 calls works. Have you?

Thor Lancelot Simon snipped-for-privacy@rek.tjls.com

"We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others." - H.L.A. Hart

Reply to
Thor Lancelot Simon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.