Re: Roaming Charges

>>> This raises a question I thought of recently, but had not bothered to

>>> ask anyone about. Suppose I start a cell call in local but move to a >>> roaming tower during the call? Does the call get charged as roaming >>> or not? >> I doubt you'd get a handoff in a situation like that. It'd drop the >> call and you'd call back. > I worked for a small cellular carrier about 7 years ago. I would > routinely test handoffs from our network to the network adjacent to > us.

If this was 7 years ago, I'm guessing it was analog service; it certainly was not GSM. I'd be interested to see what happens on some of those calls today using GSM service. Often things touted as "new and improved" aren't. That's my impression of GSM, at least the way it is being implemented now. While it is hard for a user to tell when a call is handed off to another site, I don't think I have ever had a successful hand-off with GSM. I have, however, had a LOT of calls dropped when moving ... sometimes just a few feet.

Reply to
Ken Abrams
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.