Re: Remembering the Great Telco Fire, May, 1988

"T" wrote

By 1982 I believe the #5 ESS was available. I'd imagine much of the gear > in that office at the time of the fire was probably #1A ESS and #4 ESS > for toll switching. A #5 ESS can handle both functions.

Indeed it was and indeed it did !

I don't remember much of the details of the fire since I was downstate but I do remember two things:

The female Translations Engineer (and a few of her peers) who converted the rating, routing and trunking translations from the old 1A to the new #5E in about 48 hours ... a task that normally would have taken about 4-6 weeks. A cute little thing she was! ;-)

I also remember all of the new and revised fire regulations that were implemented a few weeks after.

The switch replacement was made somewhat easier by the fact that the #5E labs and the factory both were just "right down the road" a bit.

Oh, and I also remember feeling relieved that it wasn't ME working (in the remote alarm and surveillance center) that night !!!

Reply to
Ken Abrams
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.