Re: Remembering the Great Telco Fire, May, 1988

Very interesting reading this. I was living in Chicago at the time,

> so I remember it very well. One question is how long did it ACTUALLY > take to replace the switch and restore full service to the area. > George "Skip" Thurman > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Illinois Bell stated that the > restoration was about 90 percent finished within a month, in mid-June, > 1988. It was about 95 percent finished within a month or two after > that. A couple telco repair technicians in the area noted to me that > the restoration was never _totally_ i.e. 100 percent (as in things > operated _exactly_ as they had before the fire). It got to be 'the > equivilent of' 100 percent during August of that year, but trained and > experienced ears which listened _closely_ said the 'action' (if you want > to call it that) was never completely replicated. > I do not know if you recall this or not, Skip, but _you_ were the > person who tipped me off to the fire in progress that Sunday afternoon > in a phone call to my home. PAT]

Of course -- there was probably some newer gear placed into service at the time.

By 1982 I believe the #5 ESS was available. I'd imagine much of the gear in that office at the time of the fire was probably #1A ESS and #4 ESS for toll switching. A #5 ESS can handle both functions.

Reply to
T
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.