Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?

In article , TELECOM Digest Editor noted in response to an article by w_warren snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

it is still relatively rare. PAT]

The V&H coordinates of the Rate Center associated with a given exchange > show the physical location to which all calls made to that exchange are > billed. Although long distance competition has reduced rates and > sometimes caused competitors to offer flat rate service for long > distance, each call is still accounted for in the old way, i.e., it is > recorded as originating in one Rate Center and terminating in another. > And, please remember that Local Number Portability does _not_refer to > geographic movement! The "portability" is between competing ILEC and > CLEC companies which offer service to the Rate Center represented by > the NPA/NXX code, _NOT_ between Rate Centers! You may change providers > (e.g., Verizon to Comcast), but the number you port is _still_ "homed" > on its old Rate Center. > Cellular users must pay forwarding charges for calls outside their > Rate Center: their carrier may choose to bundle those charges in with > their basic service or make any number of other price concessions, but > the number _always_ stays at its associated Rate Center. That means > that no matter where the cellular user is located, calls made to > his/her cell phone _always_ go to the terminating Rate Center first, > and are then forwarded within the cellular provider's network to a > cell tower that serves the user's current geographic location. > As far as the originating office is aware, the call stopped at the > terminating Rate Center, and it is recorded that way.

Except where VoIP is involved. For example, I could take my VoIP router anywhere there's broadband and keep the same exact phone number.

Even E-911 can be changed on the fly. I'd imagine you'd get some questions from the PSAP when your NPA-NXX doesn't match their area, but the call would still go through.

Reply to
T
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.