Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?

Mr. Dykstra,

> I happily found your on-line list of NPA/NXX's (area code plus exchanges) > with some geographic information attached. > I work for a non-profit which is just about to conduct a telephone > survey of rental households in Los Angeles, and we are seeking maps > (or mapable information) about telephone numbers. When we call renters > (as well as smaller sample of apartment owners), we want to know if > they fall in the City of Los Angeles or an adjacent community. > My understanding is that telephone exchange numbers can represent > geographic areas, similar to a ZIP code area or census tract. Is > that the case?

No. Many people have ported their number to a cell phone. When they move they take that number with them. Ok, that is true of some percentage and that may be enough for your purpose. But to tell if a given, single number is "somewhere" - don't count on it!

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But I think it would be fair to say that although local number portability is possible, not that many people have taken advantage of it; certainly not that far out of the original area of the number. Having said that, now I suppose I will hear about a New Yorker who took his 212 number to California or vice- versa, but it is still relatively rare. PAT]
Reply to
Rick Merrill
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.