Re: Pop song phone number goes up for auction [Telecom]

> Except that NPA 702 > Approximate populations: > Lincoln County: 4,000 > Nye County: 44,375 > Clark County 2,000,000 > > Clark County contains about 97% of their audience. No point in > wasting air time with an area code.

Acknowledged. Still, I'm surprised that the station's management didn't insist on including the entire DMA's audience. In the broadcast business, advertising rates are based on TV homes in the entire DMA, not just homes in the county of license.

Neal McLain

Reply to
Neal McLain
Loading thread data ...

The station management "DOESN'T CARE" _what_ the content of the ad is. Well, as long as it won't get them _legal_ trouble for airing it, that is. If you want to buy air time to advertise something that's only available in a 6 block radius, that's just _fine_ with the station. You _will_ pay the same rate as someone who's advertising something with national availability -- but that's

*your* (the advertiser, that is) choice.
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Think about it from the audience perspective. Folks outside NPA 702 fully understand that any number they get from a Las Vegas station without an NPA refers to 702, and anyone who advertises a number in

775 (or 800 or whatever) on a Las Vegas station will clearly state the correct NPA.

It is no different here in Silicon Valley - if you see an ad in a San Jose newspaper, they do not have to say NPA 408 (although most folks do state the NPA - as the paper is delivered into at least NPA 650, and probably 510 and 831 as well). Ditto for a San Francisco paper - NPA 415 is understood.

Things may be different in places far from an NPA boundary, especially where the local NPA has not changed from its original value, but that is not the case in Lincoln and Nye Counties.

Mark

Reply to
The Kaminsky Family

Kam> Think about it from the audience perspective. Folks outside NPA

I agree, but that wasn't my point. My point was (and is) that many/ most TV station managements (or at least their ad sales departments) DO care, notwithstanding what [Mister] Bonomi says.

I've never worked in the newspaper industry, so I'm not familiar with their concerns. I suspect that most display ads, and classifieds received online, are printed as received without editing. As for classifieds taken by phone, I guess it's up to the individual ad- takers.

What really baffles me are 7D phone numbers on delivery vehicles.

Neal McLain

Reply to
Neal McLain

1) Vehicle is only driven in region with one area code for landline and cell phones.

2) In regions with multiple area codes (like NYC), vehicle's owner has the same number in all such codes.

3) Vehicle's owner only cares about business from one area code, and_doesn't care_ if "outsiders" are (mis)lead to call the wrong number.

The Las Vegas ads cited sound like case (3) to me. Wonder if there's any rules being violated for (implicitly) soliciting "wrong number" calls by this practice...

Reply to
wdag

Furthermore, I suspect there are a lot of Chronicle readers who don't understand what the unstated area code should be. If they see a seven- digit number, they just dial it without thinking. Those of us who subscribe to T-D know enough about the telephone system to insert the proper area code. But the population as a whole includes lots of young, elderly, and just plain busy people who aren't as attuned to such things as we are.

Remember the story about President Carter's "Call the President" at

900-242-1611. Folks all over the country with 242-1611 numbers started getting calls for Carter.

Neal McLain

Reply to
Neal McLain

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.