Re: Ombudsman on N. Korea Food story

Anyway, have a happy Independence Day, and wish for a time

> (hopefully in our lifetimes) when there will be _true independence > for all_ in this land; not just the ones who say the right words and > have the right thoughts. PAT]

No one is stopping you (or anyone else) from leaving. So if you are so unhappy and dissatisfied here in the USA as you seem to be based upon your constant snide comments and whining, then by all means I suggest you move to some other country more to your liking.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: You make a very good point there. Canada would be an excellent choice, as would Switzerland. Because I personally feel more 'Americanized' in attitude and culture, I suppose Canada would be a better choice for me. (Well, _most_ provinces, that is, there is a notable exception to that rule). Canada is affording full freedom to _all_ its citizens; there are no second-class residents there, as happens in the USA. And although I _could_ move to Canada and continue to receive my (USA-based) Social Security Disability and Retirement payments, and I have been invited by friends to migrate there, there are some serious obstacles: because my health is so very poor (why in the hell I did not _just die_ in the brain aneurysm I do not understand; that is a common result of those things) I am much too unsteady on my feet to get that far without a _lot_ of help in the moving process. If you went around all the time in a chronic, constant state of 'dizzyness' you'd know of what I am speaking. Had I known in 1995 or even 1998 what I know and believe about the USA _today_ I would probably have hopped on a bus and migrated to northern Ontario or perhaps the eastern provinces; but smart we grow too late and very sickly too soon. November, 1999 (Black Tuesday) was probably the end of the line for me relocating anywhere.

My brother, Dan, the relatively well-to-do commercial artist in Chicago has offered to pick me up here at my home, move me, lock-stock-and-barrel back to Chicago to live, but I told him that was an insane idea. Even if I somehow had the money to survive in that town (rents alone three to five times higher than here; he paid a little over 250 thousand for the condo he and his wife and child live in) I am not sure I would have the stomach to deal with the politics of the place. I imagine I could induce him to pick me up, and move me to Canada as well, but I just would not impose in that way. If it were still 1995 or 1998 I would not have to ask him. I was making sort of semi-regular trips to visit friends in New York and San Francisco and Los Angeles every couple weekends back in the 1960's, so I do know how to get around. I was even in this general area (Junction City, Kansas at Fort Riley Army Base) -- had gotten there on my own -- when the brain aneurysm struck me down in 1999.

The last movie Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy made was in 1950; it was called 'Utopia' and was about them being ship-wrecked on a desert island with two other guys. It was an ideal place to live, but since I cannot live in Utopia, nor even the village of 'Perfect' as the man on TV-Land talks about,(although _he_ had to settle for having a

24/7 Walgreens nearby), I had to compromise by living here in the little town of Independence, where all things being equal, conditions are rather good; a magical little town which is a hybrid cross between Utopia and the mythical village of 'Perfect', and by golly, we are even getting our very own 24/7 Walgreens at 10th and Main Streets downtown, due to open in November. They are building it, fresh from the ground up now. They tore down and relocated the two businesses which were there to further west on Main Street, out by Walmart. Considering I was born in this general vicinity, and had honestly considered retiring here (although the brain aneurysm made some premature adjust- ments to _my_ timetable), I somehow get by okay. As much as I would love to live in Canada (or even Switzerland) I guess I will endure rural southeast Kansas. But thanks for the suggestion. PAT]
Reply to
Justa Lurker
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.