Re: Odd Dialing Code

Have you tried either 611 or 1-611 or +611 _only_ -- with nothing

> following from your cell phone to see if eventually it times out and > gets you to 'customer service' or some type of voicemail recording?

Yes, of course; only 611 actually connects to customer care line.

Other variations, including (+)1-611 and +611 result in "call cannot be completed as dialed / check the number and try your call again or dial

6-1-1 for customer service" (trailer: "Message O R O 1 51") or the "your *international* call cannot be completed as dialed, etc." (trailers: "0 8 3 T" or "1 [0?] 9 5 T")

There is no way to silence the prompts when connected to their voicemail, as far as I can tell. After two failed (or "did not understand response") prompts to re-enter menu option, call is terminated with suggestion to call again later ... when you've sobered up a bit, etc.

tower. Or is the city area you are in large enough that you know for > a fact you are landing on different towers?

Not sure; what I notice is with a prepaid airtime balance of less than approx. $0.50; whereas, after sending the full (+1611-etc) string -- but before ring cycle is heard -- there is a prepended cellco annoucement suggesting you add more airtime soon for continuous service. At this point, outside of Portland, no matter how many times you redial, no calls will ever be completed using +1611NPANXXXXXXz .

From my repeated attempts, I have come to the realization that the ratio of successfully completed calls to vacant code annoucements (dialed using +1611-) is proportional to network traffic; viz, during peak hours of the day it takes significantly more attempts. On Friday nights (6PM-4AM), like tonight in fact, it is virtually impossible to complete a call this way. I haven't been able to yet (after 50-60 attempts -- and, yes, I *am* this bored as to continue to try ...)

Early Sunday or Monday morning (say, 4:30A), by contrast, it takes only three or four attempts to get a call through.

Hmmmm ... and there are some strange permutations of 1611 (e.g.,

+61101-etc or +116111-etc) that result in ring cycles I havent heard in the US before. Sometimes doublering -- something like I remember landlines rang in western Europe, but with distorted type of noise -- then 'answered' by "subscriber is not available or has left their local calling region."

These are new sounds to me; I will have to take a listen to some recordings archived on

formatting link
or
formatting link
to make a more accurate analogy.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: '01' and '011' in this context can be 'operator assistance' codes on an IDDD (international direct dial) type call. This is indeed very puzzling. Are the responses (when the double-rings finally get 'answered') 'British sounding' or otherwise 'European-sounding' accent-wise? Does anyone know where country codes 61, or 611 or 161 or 1611, etc are located? PAT]
Reply to
Hr.ZeroHour
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.