Re: Mossberg: Tracking Cookies are Spyware

I've set my browser to request confirmation of every (new) cookie. I've taken to looking at the date the cookie expires. If it's 'this session' or within a day, and it's from the site* I'm trying to use, then I accept, otherwise into the bit bucket.

And, I do see repeated requests and the comment helps explain why. Seems stupid to me, but I'm just the consumer.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The way some web sites are getting > around that now is by issuing the cookie, as always, then going back > one or two seconds later (while loading the page) _looking_ for the > cookie ("Didn't I just give you a cookie? What does it say? What do > you mean you don't have it any longer? That's it for you, goodbye.")

I can understand, but not agree with, cookies that expire within a year. But expiry in several years or more, for example 2038 (aka infinity) is likely just poor programming.

• or some similar name, again programmers or maybe marketeers have run amuck with the beauty of replacing xyzz.com/abcd with xyzzabcd.com to make life easier for them.
Reply to
jared
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.