Re: NSA Puts Cookies on Your Computer

By ANICK JESDANUN, AP Internet Writer

> The National Security Agency's Internet site has been placing files on > visitors' computers that can track their Web surfing activity despite > strict federal rules banning most of them. > The first thing they do is examine your computer to see where you have > been, according to other cookies. Then they implant a cookie of their > own.

Cookies aren't sent to unrelated sites, so I don't see how they do "the first thing". Cookies are only sent back to the site that originally sent them. While it's possible for cooperating sites to arrange communication using cookies (e.g. a site that hosts banner ads, and the site whose pages contain the banners), a site (even the NSA) cannot simply examine all your other cookies to see where you've been.

Barry Margolin, snipped-for-privacy@alum.mit.edu Arlington, MA

*** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me *** *** PLEASE don't copy me on replies, I'll read them in the group ***
Reply to
Barry Margolin
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.