Mossberg: Tracking Cookies are Spyware

Despite Others' Claims, Tracking Cookies Fit My Spyware Definition

By WALTER S. MOSSBERG

Suppose you bought a TV set that included a component to track what you watched, and then reported that data back to a company that used or sold it for advertising purposes. Only nobody told you the tracking technology was there or asked your permission to use it.

You would likely be outraged at this violation of privacy. Yet that kind of Big Brother intrusion goes on every day on the Internet, affecting millions of people. Many Web sites, even from respectable companies, place a secret computer file called a "tracking cookie" on your hard disk. This file records where you go on the Web on behalf of Internet advertising companies that later use the information for their own business purposes. In almost all cases, the user isn't notified of the download of the tracking cookie, let alone asked for permission to install it.

Luckily, the leading Windows antispyware programs can detect and remove these tracking cookies. It is the best defense a user has against this tactic.

Now, though, some of the companies that place these files on your hard disk are complaining about that defense. Some are urging the antispyware software companies to stop detecting and removing tracking cookies. They assert that the secret placement of these tracking mechanisms is a legitimate business practice, and that tracking cookies aren't really spyware or aren't harmful.

Unfortunately for consumers, this twisted reasoning is having some impact. In the most notable case, Microsoft disabled the detection and removal of tracking cookies when it purchased an antispyware program from a small company called Giant and turned it into Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware. That is a big reason why I can't recommend the Microsoft product, which still is in the test phase but is available for anyone to download.

formatting link

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And have you noticed how many sites refuse to admit you at all if you refuse to accept their cookies? On our web site
formatting link
until last year when the site was greatly overhauled, I used cookies only for the purpose of referring to the user by name and telling him how often he had been there. _No other reason_. I finally quit it, when various users were offended by it; not apparently because I called them by name, or referenced how often they had been around, but because of all the potential for misuse otherwise. And I did get 'legitimate' business inquiries about the cookies. Companies wanted to by them, etc and get more details, etc. But that just made me feel very uneasy and unethical. That's the main reason I distribute NY Times and other newspapers on this site (see td-extra) with no login nor registration requirements. I just don't think it is anyone's business who reads what around here. PAT]
Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.