Re: FCC's 911 Move a Trojan Horse? Critics Charge Engineering

formatting link

> FCC's 911 Move a Trojan Horse? > Critics Charge They're Engineering Death of Indie VoIP > Written by Karl Bode > Tomorrow the FCC will release an order that forces all independent > VoIP providers to offer 911 service within 120 days. On the surface > the move seems like a simple way of ensuring public safety, but > critics believe it's really an incumbent engineered attempt to crush > upstart VoIP competitors.

And critics of Jack Decker believe that he's really a paid PR flack with write-only access to comp.dcom.telecom that he uses to post a neverending barrage of "news" stories carefully selected by his puppetmasters to tell their self-serving story about the choice of certain large VoIP providers (but not others, which puts the lie to most of what he says) to avoid the costs associated with 911 service as a means of undercutting the prices of traditional POTS carriers.

Now, you may not believe my paragraph above, but you have just as much rational warrant to believe it -- if not significantly more, given that Jack *does* in fact seem to maintain a write-only attitude to this forum -- as you have to believe the text that begins with "critics believe..." in the quoted text.

Thor Lancelot Simon snipped-for-privacy@rek.tjls.com

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Jack Decker _primarily_ writes the VOIP newsgroup on Yahoo Groups. Through an earlier agreement between Jack and myself (mainly, because _he_ thought of the idea of a news forum for VOIP before myself), his articles are also distributed here in Telecom Digest. Please recall at one time a few months ago, Jack was discouraged about the content of what _he_ was receiving for _his_ group, and he stated he was going to put the group on hiatus. I very promptly announced that _I_ would snatch it up in a hurry, but Jack thought better of it and he re-instated his 'VOIP News' in a day or two.

He is not on any _write only_ basis with me. When his articles come through via email to me, Jack and I have an agreement, that his address will be withheld_on_request, mainly because of the horrible problem with spam that all of us moderators -- who sit out in the open all the time -- must endure. And although I _could_ leave his 'Reply-to: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com' line intact, I generally do not, perhaps selfishly wishing to see replies to his articles seen via this Digest to come back via this Digest rather than his. No matter, I guess, if replies went to him and were published his Digest, they would come back here anyway when _his_ published articles arrive here usually later the same day, but it gets confusing trying to construct all my '>' marks in a neat way.

Jack has stated that he prints _all_ the press releases he gets, no matter how self-serving many of them are. If _I_ printed all the press releases that Lisa Minter sees in a day's time, you'd probably feel the same way about TELECOM Digest. But I have one 'luxury' that neither Jack nor Lisa (as of yet) enjoy: a _huge_ volume of readers and message writers -- writing on their own merit and not just as press release writing puppets -- so I do not have to rely quite as much on 'press releases' as Jack does. PAT]

Reply to
Thor Lancelot Simon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.