Re: New Technology Poses 911 Peril

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The debate over on VOIP News continues between Mr. Wilber and Jack Decker. PAT]

--- Jack Decker [Moderator] wrote:

As for E-911 fees, I have been saying for many months now that the only fair way to finance E-911 centers is through the same mechanism used to finance every other emergency service in the community (such as fire and police), be that property taxes, local sales taxes, or whatever.

--- end of quote ---

I would like to know how that could be administered. In New Hampshire, local communities determine how their emergency services are funded while the stae determines how E-911 is financed. In my state, there is just a single PSAP but even that would be an adminstratrive and political challenge of huge proportions. I can only imagine it would be completely unmanageable in a large state such as New York or California.

In an ideal world, the phone companies that sold the 911 centers these technologically obsolete systems would be forced to pay. However, I suspect that if there were more sources for these systems -- that is, if 911 center operators didn't run to their partners in crime at the phone companies to purchase these systems at top dollar -- I suspect they could get far more advanced systems for far less money.

--- end of quote ---

My primary experience has been in the state of New Hampshire. In that state, when the legislature mandated that all municipalities implement E-911 within a certain period of time, the contract for providing E-911 was put out for bid as it should be. All legitimate vendors were welcome to submit bids on the contract.

... I think the 911 center administrators so love it that they can put one over on the taxpayers and voters (by not seeking their permission before installing a new system) that they don't really question what sort of deal the phone companies are giving them, nor whether the equipment they are being sold is expandable to handle communications from newer forms of technology.

--- end of quote ---

Apparently Mr. Decker is privy to some inside information here. Any dispatch center members I have spoken with - and virtually all I am aware of who have commented in various listservs on the matter -- are seriously concerned about how to make E-911 work with VoIP. In my experience, they are true professionals, concerned with the welfare of the public they are charged with protecting. Maligning them as you did in your reply to my posting suggests that you have proof to the contrary. Perhaps you would share that with the readers of this listserv.

You conveniently ignore the fact that for many years cell phones were unable to complete calls to 911. Perhaps you feel that all new forms of communication should be hamstrung until they can fit into the wireline telephone companies' ways of doing things, but I for one do not.

--- end of quote ---

Mr. Decker conveniently ignores the fact that cellular carriers are currently under federal mandate to provide Automatic Location Information capability within certain parameters of accuracy by certain dates. It is common knowledge that the carriers have been unable to meet these deadlines in many cases but they are still subject to those mandates and are liable for fines if they don't meet those deadlines.

As for my feelings about new forms of communication, the Moderator presumes to put words in my mouth and ascribe motives to my postings by stooping to an ad hominem attack on me that does nothing to advance this discussion in a reasoned and mature manner. If he had bothered to ask he would have learned that my job and my hobbies all revolve around encouraging, advancing, supporting and implementing new forms of communication.

Charlie Wilber Hanover, New Hampshire

Reply to
Charles B. Wilber
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.