re: Any user reviews of the Magic Jack? [Telecom]

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:19:37 -0500

>From: Randall >Subject: Any user reviews of the Magic Jack? [Telecom] > >Does anybody have anything to say, good or bad, about the Magic Jack?

My son spent the last six months on a world trip which took him to the Philippines, Guam, Thailand, Singapore, India, Turkey, Greece, the Czech Republic, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, France and Monaco. I gave him a "Magic Jack" and a headset for his laptop so that he could stay in touch.

It performed as advertised. (Of course, getting the kid to call home was a much greater hurdle than the VoIP technology.)

The "Magic Jack" provided him with an area code 303 number in Colorado, where he normally lives, and functioned well whenever he had access to a broadband connection -- which was most of the time at cafes, hotels, etc.

His favorite feature was the voice mail which not only allowed me (and his friends) to leave him a message, but would send him an email saying that he had a message and attaching the voice mail message as an mp3 file. This was good because he was likely to glance at email almost every day, but plug in the "Magic Jack" only when he wanted to originate a call.

Generally, the quality of the call was a function of the quality of his broadband connection. In all cases, it was well within what one might expect for conventional international calling from odd locations.

Now that he is back in the US, he prefers to use his cellphone which provides flat rate nationwide calling and is more convenient than being tethered to his laptop computer. But the cost of using a cellphone while roaming internationally made the "Magic Jack" a superb way for him to keep in touch.

Regards, Will

***** Moderator's Note *****

Is "Magic Jack" any different than another VoIP service, such as Vonage? Would your son have been able to accomplish the same goals with a Vonage router in his luggage?

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
Will Roberts
Loading thread data ...

It's VoIP in a dongle, priced at a flat $40/yr. You can take along a conventional VoIP box and it works (my US Lingo box works great here in the UK), but it's a lot bigger.

On the other hand, you need some sort of phone to plug into the Magic Jack, so if you have a laptop, it might be easier to use Skype, which can call US landlines for 2.4c/min or $2.95/mo with a month to month subscription. When I travel internationally, I use Skype with my laptop's built in microphone and a pair of tiny earbuds.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Actually the first year is $40 while subsequent years are $20.

No you don't need a phone for the MagicJack device. If you have a headset for the computer (earphone and mic) you can use it with MagicJack. I like the fact that it's flexible like that.

And as was mentioned ealier, the mp3 voicemail sent as email is great.

Reply to
T

Magic Jack is [a] good product: we have now had ours for 1 year.

Reply to
jdp76il

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.