2 more alarm Alarm Companys lying to customers

Have Seen 2 good ones this week in Pittsburgh. Was at a pastors home hooking up his computers to his new cable modem and he got the cable companys phone service and the cable salesman told him that most panels did not work on the cable companys telephone network. Of course the security company that they own does. Went out to the truck brought in a lynx fired it up on sevral different formats and they all worked on test acct at central station. Salesman of course had nothing but excuses for lying about what he said . Needless to say all the pastors niehbors on the streeet that bought the horse shit line of this saleman are going to be firing the alarm company the cable company owns when there contracts come up on renewal by certified letter. since they were lied to.

2nd case construction contractor i sub contract fire alarm work to had his fire panel damaged by a surge. Techs came in from company that did original install said panel was hit by lightning and pointed at some wires. sales man for company came by to estimate fire panel replacement and told the construction company owner he would have to totally upgrade system as this is what the twp and new state codes required. Realy I called twp and state and since system was not required in first place and was voluntary all they had to do was replace panel or if they chose eliminate system all together.Unless there insurance carrier wanted it in place. needless to say they changed panel at a cost of $1250.00 and saved $15,000.00 they were quoted by original alarm company and original company will no longer be given any further buisness .

There is more than enough work for every one in the Pittsburgh area that wants it and why companys continue to indoctrinate there techs and sales people to lie is beyond me all they are doing is hurting there own bottom line by spewing out lies and un truths.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz
Loading thread data ...

Only if they get caught and unfortunately, they don't get caught often enough.

I place it in the same category as dry wall installers and carpet installers. They cut, pull, short, bury the wires and there's nary a one of them who ever seems to realize what they do wrong. Reason?? Because by the time their 'Handywork" is discovered, they're long gone and been paid. They never suffer the consequences of having their income affected as a result of their lack of skill, or concern.

I've seen the same thing as you mentioned lots of times. I think it stems from the fact that these companies think that their customer is going to trust them and not go out and look for another opinion. ...... so .... they see a way to make a killing.

Reply to
Jim

Nick, not saying you are totally wrong here but just because the lynx worked does not mean "ALL" panels will work. And I am sure that if the power is off for the building (unless there is considerable UPS) no panel will work on VoIP.

It has a lot to do with liability and less to do with lies. The subscriber or the alarm company??? If a customer of mine insist on VoIP then they will sign a waiver saying that I explained the ups and downs and/or risk. Food for thought.

I am sure you have lit a big thread hear and I may have just thrown some extra 89 Octane to get it started real good.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

all panels and all formats work on there cable phone system its not VOIP They know it and lie constantly. yep you do need back up power which is supplied by a battery back up pack for about 12 hours. My customers who use this service i advise to get cell back up etc for there own protection.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

Nick,

Please help me to understand. It is a Cable Phone System that is NOT VoIP?? Then what is it?? Are you saying that the Cable Company also has a standard Baby Bell that produces a standard Dial Tone?? Or is it something else.

Please enlighten me.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

Common sense says put in a long range wireless in every case where you encounter VoIP and be done with it.

You only lose the ability to upload/download the panel and the customer can pay the service call charge if you need to change something.

Reply to
thesatguy

I agree... The Telular TG-1 was designed to address the Internet/Cell phone only households...

Reply to
Russell Brill

Not all cable is VOIP. Read the cable's tech specs and see if it says VOIP or just DIGITAL phone service.

Nick, the sales guys must have been told they offer digital phone service and with their lack of technical training, they just assumed it was VOIP beacuse thats all they know. They are trained to sell phone service, not explain the technical facts of what it is or how it works. It's just like TV. We all know what a regualar over-the-air signal is all about, but how many salespeople tell people that digital is HDTV? HDTV is digital but Digital is not automatically HDTV. Get my meaning?

Reply to
Jen...tel

The phone service the offer was digital cable service works just like pots but its digital it is not voip based. some telcos call it broadband phone. but it is distinctly different than voip.

I do work with a guy who sells phone service from sevral different vendors and you should see the problem we have when we order a S/dsl instead of typical A/dsl the local telco guys go nuts becuse they are looking for a dial tone thats not there. too many telco options and its getting everyone screwed up if you do not keep up with it. including all the new digital phone systems and now the new IP based phone systems thats a whole nutter matter.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

I wonder how the didgital cable phone service works with my modem for downloading panels? Will it work like the pots line and d/l ok?

Reply to
Don

I have no problems with digital cable phone up/down load

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

do you have an alarm panel on it to? report ok to cs?

Reply to
Don

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.