Re: British Strowger SxS?

Hi Pholks:

> I am looking for either parts to build an SxS demo switch, or for a > small GEC or other British Strowger PAX for the Telephone Museum of > Prince Edward Island. >
formatting link
> Now the reason for the preference of British Strowger, is that Prince > Edward Island's first automatic switch was British Strowger built by > Automatic Telephone and Electrical of Liverpool, England. The 1200 > line switch was delivered late in 1949 and placed into service on > February 9, 1950. > I would like to stick by this theme if possible, though certainly > wouldn't exclude North American Strowger equipment. > When children visit the museum, most have never seen a dial phone, and > don't have a clue how to use them. What a wonderful thing if I could > have a demo set up so they can actually see the connection taking > place in the switches. That is why a modern switch wouldn't help - the > act of their seeing the equipment move through its steps and make the > connection. The fascination watching as the process happens. > Now, if we do find a small switch (i.e. PAX), it would have to be > located in the Maritimes, due to the cost of shipping such an item, > but parts are another matter -- a bit easier to ship. > I have been searching for some time on P.E.I. with no luck. It appears > I am some 20 years too late to find anything locally, but the search > continues here, too. > Companies such as GEC, Plessey and others manufactured suitable > products and exported them to Canada and the U.S. North American > companies also made small PAX's which would be suitable. I am open to > anything at this time. > Anyone know the location of one of these units or parts to construct a > demo switch in the Maritimes? > Thanks, > Dave

The Queen Mary in Long Beach, Calif. has one, but I don't think its for sale. Some 25 plus years ago I was on a crew that hooked it into the GTE switch in Long Beach.

The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today? (c) 2005 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot in Hell Co.

Reply to
Steven Lichter
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.