British Strowger SxS?

Hi Pholks:

I am looking for either parts to build an SxS demo switch, or for a small GEC or other British Strowger PAX for the Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island.

formatting link
Now the reason for the preference of British Strowger, is that Prince Edward Island's first automatic switch was British Strowger built by Automatic Telephone and Electrical of Liverpool, England. The 1200 line switch was delivered late in 1949 and placed into service on February 9, 1950.

I would like to stick by this theme if possible, though certainly wouldn't exclude North American Strowger equipment.

When children visit the museum, most have never seen a dial phone, and don't have a clue how to use them. What a wonderful thing if I could have a demo set up so they can actually see the connection taking place in the switches. That is why a modern switch wouldn't help - the act of their seeing the equipment move through its steps and make the connection. The fascination watching as the process happens.

Now, if we do find a small switch (i.e. PAX), it would have to be located in the Maritimes, due to the cost of shipping such an item, but parts are another matter -- a bit easier to ship.

I have been searching for some time on P.E.I. with no luck. It appears I am some 20 years too late to find anything locally, but the search continues here, too.

Companies such as GEC, Plessey and others manufactured suitable products and exported them to Canada and the U.S. North American companies also made small PAX's which would be suitable. I am open to anything at this time.

Anyone know the location of one of these units or parts to construct a demo switch in the Maritimes?

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hunter
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.