Re: More on San Francisco and Oakland Numbering

>> The standard nationwide time for making changes was 3:01 a.m. Eastern

>> Standard Time, which would be 12:01 a.m. Pacifc Standard Time, still >> on Sunday. (A day does began at 12:01 a.m.; it's not just a style >> issue.) > What if you're keeping track of time to seconds? > Is "one second after midnight" _really_ part of the previous "day"? > What about the middle of the day? > Is "one second after mid-day" (12:00 noon) really still part of the > 'morning'? > I'll agree that there is an ambiguity about whether 'midnight' is part > of the preceeding or succeeding day. I will, however, argue that if > it is any interval _past_ "midnight" -- be it a minute, a second, a > millisecond, a micro-second, a femto-second, or any smaller interval > -- that there is no question that the time-tick is in the 'new', not > the 'old' one.

There is certainly no argument from me on this point. For most things,

12:01 a.m. is sufficiently accurate. But when greater accuracy is needed, you are quite correct.

Because of the ambiguity you cite, for most purposes 11:59 p.m. or

12:01 a.m. is sufficiently accurate. Many businesses where safety or operations are concerned, prohibit the use of any instructions involving 12 midnight or 12 noon. They only allow the use of 11:59 p.m. or 12:01 a.m., or in the case of noon, 11:59 a.m. or 12:01 p.m.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Wesrock
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.