Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?

Many companies today answer their phone with a long winded answer. As

> a customer, I find it annoying and distracting. Which do you think is > best? > a) "Jones & Co."

b) "Good morning, Jones & Co."

> c) "Thank you for calling Jones & Co, this is John Smith speaking, how > may I direct your call?" > d) "Thank you for calling Jones & Co, this is John Smith speaking, how > may I give you the best customer service ever today?"

I think that (d) is a crock, as too is (c) -- along with the equally annoying variant 'blah blah blah ... how may I help you?' **

In general, (b) should be fine although it does depend on who you are. Do you have a direct line, with people calling your number specifically to speak to you? Then a name would be appropriate. Otherwise, if you are a 'front desk' or general dog's-body type person, (b) is perfectly adequate.

cheers,

Henry

** PS: And what _really_ gets my goat after the pseudo-formality of the 'how may I help you?' routine is when they then immediately shift down to their normal overly-familiar approach:

"Thank you for calling Jones & Co; this is John Smith speaking. How may I help you?"

[I have never dealt with this John Smith before.]

'Good morning, Mr Smith. This is Henry Larsen calling about the order I placed last week'.

"Oh, hi Henry! Yeah, lemme just bring it up on my computer here...."

Grrrrrrrr.

Reply to
Henry
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.