Qwest DSL outage last weekend [telecom]

Does anyone have any details (what went wrong) about a Qwest DSL outage at least in the Minneapolis area last weekend? My internet connection was out from sometime Friday night until late Saturday, then again most of Sunday, and part of Monday (if I remember right.) At first my "modem" showed a good DSL/Internet connection and when I called the automated trouble number at Qwest was told my circuit was fine. A very accommodating technician at my ISP (working from home on Saturday) did some checking, was pretty sure his equipment was OK, but found something fishy at the DSL/ATM level. So I called Qwest back and waded through the prompts to talk to a person -- she acknowledged that in fact they were having a problem (affecting more than me -- it sounded like quite a bit more than me), couldn't give an ETR, and couldn't explain why the automated circuit test indicated everything was OK. (I am guessing the circuits were fine -- just misconnected or misrouted -- so an end-to-end test on my "circuit" got a good response -- just that it wasn't to my modem!) Shortly thereafter the modem lights did go on blink and when I recalled the automated trouble number that day and the next two days it did acknowledge a problem.

I haven't been able to find any mention of the outage anywhere.

Ted Lee Minnetonka, MN

Reply to
Ted Lee
Loading thread data ...

Dunno. My ISP isn't Qwest, but I use Qwest DSL to connect from South Mpls to visi.com (that way I get to pay both Qwest AND visi!), and I didn't see any significant problems.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

Thanks. Sounds like it wasn't a "major" outage afterall. I'm in Minnetonka (952 exchange -- I believe the fiber now goes as far as to the other end of the block, since they added new boxes and even an underground vault a couple of years ago.) It went out again this morning, they hadn't noticed the outage yet, and they fixed it by rebooting their "server" (whatever that means in DSL-speak.) My ISP also is not Qwest, but is Zayo/Onvoy/MR Net (I have had my mailbox there for probably 20 years and I'd sure hate to lose it!)

Ted Lee Minnetonka, MN

Reply to
Ted Lee

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.