Need help reconnecting two phone lines [telecom]

I have 4-wire jacks thoughout my house, which I have been using for two phone lines - one analog, one digital - from two different companies. A careless (or possibly vicious) technician who came to fix a loss of dial tone connected the analog service to both lines in part of the house so I lost the digital service.

In principle I should be able to disconnect one line and reconnect the digital service, but over many years changes to the phone services have left a jungle of phone wires in my basement - some ancient fossils, some alive - leading to different parts of the house.

How can I check connectivity to find where the incoming lines are connected to particular jacks ?

***** Moderator's Note *****

Zayde,

The only connectivity you need to check is the connection to the complaint department at the company that allowed a technician to make the mistake. Get them back out and tell them to fix it.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Zayde
Loading thread data ...

Bill, Yes that does seem obvious, but they are not going to reconnect the service of a different company. The technician got surly when I told him what he did and reported the case as closed. Rather than get into a big fight and possibly extra charges, it may be easier to fix it myself.

***** Moderator's Note *****

Sometimes fights are inevitable. You don't have to get into one if you don't choose to, but I recommend that you involve your state's Public Utility Commission. They're usually fairly effective with matters like this.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Zayde

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.