Dead Phone at New House, Short Circuits Say SBC!

Hello,

I just moved to a new house and I tried getting the phone line set up, and no dialtone. So SBC sent someone out and they said that of the four jacks in the house, three were shorted out ... it's an older house and he couldn't figure out where the short was. (except at $55 per 20 minutes)

The three lines ran into the crawl space, and I don't know how they were spliced. He was able to get one line working, but the other three are dead. Now, I'm stuck, either trying to figure out where the shorts are or rewiring the other three jacks ...

I just don't understand how three lines were shorted when the previous owners just moved out. Because they did previously have service! What's the best way to figure out where the short is?

Any ideas?

If I do rewire the other jacks, and run new cable, the SBC guy recommended running all new wires, one wire per jack to get the best connection ... what do you think about this? And how do I connect four wires to the phone box? connect them each directly, or splice them right to the main two wires that are already connected?

Thanks.

Reply to
Japple
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.