LD carrier, what's that? [telecom]

For years, I used "usadatanet" as my LD carrier. It was not FGD; rather, you called a local POP, it answered & knew you from ANI/CID; you dialed

10D. The advantage was there were no monthly fees and no minimums; so it was ideal for my very minumum usage.

A telecommuting friend also used it as his employer got the bill...not him.

Somehow it morphed into "Spot" and he has continued to use it. (I now have other options.) But he got a message they are dropping service in DC and several other states; no idea why.

Are there any carriers left out there without big minimums/monthly fees....? I'll listen for pins dropping in response.

Reply to
David Lesher
Loading thread data ...

I don't know anyone who'll do dial-1 telephony without a monthly fee. For my 800 number and beach house, I use Pioneer Telecom, rates are about 3 cpm, no minimum if you get billed electronically, monthly "regulatory recovery fee" is $1.61 for my account.

If you like dialaround and you're ever in Canada, get a President's Choice prepaid calling card at a Loblaws's grocery store. Rates are 4 cpm (Canadian cents) to U.S. and Canada, and you can set it up online to top up automatically with $5 from a credit card when you run out of credit. Access is by toll-free number, you can tell it your home number so you don't have to enter a PIN from home. They used to expire but don't any more so long as they're linked to a credit card.

Since it is a Canadian calling card, there is NO PAYPHONE SURCHARGE. That's right, none, even in the U.S.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

If you are OK with "prepaid", check out

formatting link
no min, no monthly Local & 800 access Int'l rates cheaper sometimes than US Int'l access #s for calls back to US same CID recognition + you can assign other #s as needed speed dial etc etc

Reply to
Reed

I've been using OneSuite for years and have been very pleased. As in the service you were using you make a call to a local POTS number. When you call the number from one of three numbers. It recognizes you from ANI or CID (I'm guessing ANI) and all you have to do is key the NANP number with a 1 plus ten digits or key 011/CC/area/number for international calls. It supposedly has an "expiration" date, but that gets placed further and further away as you make calls and use the service. Expiration is something like six months IIRC. Calls to US and Canadian numbers are 2.5 cents/minute. Calls to the UK, most of Europe and to Israel are 2.4 to 2.5 cents/minute using a local access number. You can also call using a toll-free number, but per minute costs are a little more expensive. Calls from a US coin phone have an additional surcharge. They also have POPs in many foreign locations so you can make cheaper calls both to the US and also to other countries as well. I've noticed that call quality is usually pretty good though at times when I've called Israel -- the call quality isn't the best, but calls at only 2.4 cents/minute I'm not complaining too much.

Reply to
Joseph Singer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.