[telecom] FCC gently tightens rules on "robot calls".

Of course politicians and "non profits" are still exempt. And as all of us who are _still_ getting calls from "Rachel of Cardholder Services", we've just got to wonder how concerned the FCC/FTC really area...

------ [FCC press release]

1.In this Report and Order (Order), we take steps to protect consumers from unwanted telemarketing calls pursuant to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991 (TCPA).1 The protections we adopt will protect consumers from unwanted autodialed or prerecorded telemarketing calls, also known as "telemarketing robocalls,"

1.None of our actions change requirements for prerecorded messages that are non-telemarketing, informational calls, such as calls by or on behalf of tax-exempt non-profit organizations, calls for political purposes,

------------

rest:

formatting link

-or-

formatting link
may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...

Rachel's real name is Rajani and she is calling from a call center in Bangalore, far out of the reach of the FTC. Cheap long distance providers using VoIP have made it much less expensive to call friends abroad, but they have also made it much less expensive for fraudulent operations abroad to call you.

--scott

- - "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

***** Moderator's Note *****

The solution is simple: wait until Rachel finishes her announcement, tap through to speak to a human, and waste as much of that person's time as possible. If only 1/10 of Rachel's targets did that, she and her friends - wherever they are - would be out of business in a month.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Rachel may be out of the reach of the FTC, but the sleaze who hires her employer almost certainly is not.

-GAWollman

Reply to
Garrett Wollman

They reported that on ABC nightly news last nite and my reactions were:

- "What a load of crap! Don't these news people even bother to look into the stuff they're reporting?"

i.e. Call centers going offshore and using VOIP with multiple relays to become totally immune to No-Call List prosecution.

- Typical Washington legislative activity: do something that gives people a warm fuzzy in a sound byte, but has virtually no substance.

Reply to
Pete Cresswell

They're not "news people". They are performers, reading from a script that someone else wrote while concentrating on looking sincere and trustworthy. Their only marketable skill is that they look good on television.

-- Bill Horne

"This is not what I expected I did not expect to feel this good I always kept my heart protected I crossed my fingers and I knocked on wood" - John Gorka

Reply to
Bill Horne

A few moments' investigation would make it abundantly clear that this is not true. (I assume you weren't intending to libel any particular ABC News reporter, just television reporters in general.)

-GAWollman

Reply to
Garrett Wollman

Again: if they are calling Americans, then they are working for someone who does business in the United States and is within reach of the Federal courts. They don't annoy people for the fun of it: they actually reap some economic benefit from doing so, and the people who pay them must in turn be engaging in some sort of economic activity with the people they are soliciting, which places them (even if they are not U.S. nationals) under the jurisdiction of U.S. law.

-GAWollman

Reply to
Garrett Wollman

Per Garrett Wollman:

The logic sounds unassailable - but the practice seems to be that nobody's getting prosecuted anymore.

If my scanner hadn't bitten the big one months ago, I'd scan and post a couple of the lame letters I've been getting from the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office - basically denying any more responsibility for enforcing the Penna Do-Not-Call List.

Reply to
Pete Cresswell

snipped-for-privacy@bimajority.org (Garrett Wollman) wrote in news:jhm5i1$1ka1$ snipped-for-privacy@grapevine.csail.mit.edu:

To make enforcement and reporting easier and more efficient, we need a vertical service code which would work similarly to *57, which could be dialed after receiving such a call. Giving details and followup might be by AVR right after dialing the code, or through a web site at some time afterwards.

Reply to
Paul

I don't know about wherever you live, but here in California, even if you pay for *57 it has no effect because the telco won't cooperate with law enforcement against junk callers. at&t company policy seems to be that junk = revenue and is therefore good.

Reply to
John David Galt

John David Galt wrote in news:jhp6fj$2d0$ snipped-for-privacy@blue-new.rahul.net:

*57 is supposedly for reporting criminal (threatening) type calls, that could require local police action. They had better be handling these properly. It would probably take a new code and/or FCC ruling to define a process to make an effective spam call reporting system.
Reply to
Paul

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.