Re: ANI vs CID {telecom}

>> snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

>>> Adam H. Kerman wrote: >>> >>>> Take this quote [from Wikipedia] for instance: >>>> >>>> Privacy >>>> >>>> ... The destination telephone company switching office can >>>> relay the originating telephone number to ANI delivery >>>> services subscribers. Toll-free Inward WATS number >>>> subscribers and large companies normally have access to ANI >>>> information, either instantly via installed equipment, or from >>>> a monthly billing statement. Residential subscribers can >>>> obtain access to ANI information through third party companies >>>> that charge for the service. >>>> >>>> On my home number, I can subscribe to a third-party service that >>>> will provide me ANI instantly? I had no idea. Due to there being no >>>> source provided, I still don't. >>> >>> Uh, well they don't say instantly for residential. I have an 800 >>> number that I got when my kids were in college. It directs calls to >>> whatever local phone number I choose. My monthly bill tells me the >>> phone numbers that have called my 800 number. I got my 800 service >>> from Broadwing (now Level 3), but I would assume other providers >>> offer the same service. >>> >>> I suppose like anything else, enough money thrown at some phone >>> company or another would yield real time ANI at your home. ;-) >> >> Years ago when I still had my BBS online; I had an 800 number for >> network calls since I was the server for our net. I had a friend >> build me a receiver that allowed me to see the incoming number. I >> still have it now, but when I hooked it on my phone line it does not >> work, I did this to be able to see blocked numbers. I have been told >> by at&t the ANI is not passed onto the subscriber, having worked in >> the industry since 1967 I don't understand how that could be blocked. > > The only remote number signalling on tail-circuit POTS lines, > regardless of whether they are residential or business, is the > protocol used for CLID. With the right C.O. equipment, it is > possible to capture the ANI data in the call set-up and pass *THAT* > information via the CLID signalling to the end-user. > > Typical real-time ANI (which presumes a multi-line incoming set-up) > comes over the D channel of a PRI, or a dedicated data circuit. > Similar to, but not identical to, the way SMDR data is output by a > switch.

I tried it on my regular phone; the first time was on my old BBS number which is on a 5ESS. My other phone is on a DMS and when a call came in, the box showed the area code and the exchange, not the phone number, the CID box showed the complete number, the box was build by a friend of mine years ago; he was an engineer for Automatic Electric.

I called my phone from the other line and got the same data, I then called the phone from my Sprint Cell phone and all the data came to the box as well as the CID box. I tried it blocking my CID on my cell phone and could not get through the first time because I have no CID numbers rejected. I turned it off and dialed my phone from the Cell phone with CID blocked and no CID on the CID box, but my ANI receiver worked fine. I just talked to him and he said that Sprints allows the data to pass through their switch, where AT&T appears not to; that is the only reason so he thought. Maybe I should have him build me another one, but this one cost me over $800.00 for parts and that was

13 years ago.

It works ok, but not regular so I guess it might have something to do the way SS7 is passed over the network.

Reply to
Steven Lichter
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.