Internet links to amazon? [TELECOM]

Suppose a modest-sized organization -- e.g., a community historical society -- maybe incorporated, maybe nonprofit -- assembles a reading list of books related to the community, some of which can be purchased on or through amazon, and puts this list on its website.

Can that organization set up an arrangement with amazon so that people browsing its site can click on some of the books in this list; be taken directly to that book's listing on amazon; maybe buy the book; and if so amazon pays the organization a (presumably small!) commission on the sale?

[The straightforward answer to this query is of course "Ask amazon!" ­­ but I'm just wondering if anyone on these groups has experience with this, and can offer any informed advice as to whether it's worthwhile trying to do this? -- and if so, how to go about it?]

***** Moderator's Note *****

Since the answer to this question might benefit museums or other entities that are seeking to preserve the history of the telephone system, I declare this to be telecom related.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
AES
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
Of course. The link above is a live demo I put together for my church. (Feel free to buy something if the urge strikes, the church will get the commission, not me.) For more info on how to set one up, click on the "Join Associates" link at the bottom of the Amazon home page.

I've looked at a lot of online bookstore affiliate programs (might as well get a commission if people buy my books off my web site) and Amazon's affiliate program is among the easiest to use. You can set up an account, tell them to pay what you make directly into your bank account, and then make a mini-site hosted at Amazon like the one above, or you can get stuff to put in your own web site, from simple links and images to fancy search boxes widgets and other stuff. It took under half an hour to set up the church's account and pick the books for the site above.

Having said all that, you typically get a 4% commission on each sale, which means that you only make money if people buy a lot of books, which they won't unless you have some way of making them unusually motivated to visit your store and buy stuff. If you just make up the store and it sits there, you're unlikely to make even enough to get to the $10 minimum for them to pay out.

R's, John

Reply to
John R. Levine

Yes. Amazon have an Affiliate scheme. But they only pay a couple percent commission now. A few years ago they'd pay 15% on direct links to a particular title - but those days are gone...

Reply to
David Quinton

Thanks very much -- just the guidance I needed.

Reply to
AES

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.