at&t vs. Verizon TV ad campaign? [telecom]

Both companies have flooded television claiming their cellular telephone service is superior to the other, especially in advanced features.

Who is right? Which claims are true and which are false or half- truths?

(Note that today it's spelled "at&t" in lower case, and the company was formed in 2005 when SBC bought the old Ma Bell AT&T).

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

I would say it depends on the area you are in. I was up in the mountains North East of Sacramento, and a friend's at&t phone worked [only sometimes]. I use Sprint, and was roaming on Verizon with a very good signal. In Riverside, both work very well.

Reply to
Steven

And if I see Luke Wilson or floating maps one more time I'm going to throw my rotary Western Electric phone through the TV!

My personal experience is at&t consistently puts 5-bars of signal into my house. Verizon Wireless gave me "NO SERVICE". A neighbor had the same experience. We live off a major highway in Austin, Texas, [which is] hardly the boonies. I looked up the tower and antenna location information, and the nearest at&t antenna was frighteningly close to me, while the nearest Verizon Wireless [antenna] was 3 miles away. Having said that, I can only repeat what I've heard about Verizon Wireless service.

Verizon Wireless has much better 3G coverage. at&t has a faster 3G network. Just because there's no 3G doesn't mean smart-phones won't work, they simply run on the slower EDGE network.

Clear has rolled out their 4G network in Austin and I saw it in action. Drool! It's basically your cable modem in portable form. Amazing!

John

Reply to
John Mayson
[Moderator snip]

Isn't Clear in partner with Sprint on the 4G? They are getting ready to roll it out in Corona, Ca.

-- The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today? (c) 2010 I Kill Spammers, Inc., A Rot in Hell. Co.

Reply to
Steven

What about the more likely option: "None of the above."

Reply to
Sam Spade

Clear is rolling out a bunch of stuff in their _own_ name, at least in Chicago. I've seen the legal notices for the access-point installations.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

No, the *logo* of the company is lower case "at&t". The actual *name* of the company is AT&T Inc. (and was previously AT&T Corporation). AT&T always refers to itself using the all-caps name, except in the graphic logo. Take a look at one of the recent filings the company made with the FCC:

formatting link

... on this and other filings, the company always calls itself AT&T. Similarly on the company's own website, on the company profile page, there's the lower-case logo in the corner, but all textual references are to AT&T, uppercase.

formatting link
Or, you can look at the company's 2008 annual report:

formatting link

Reply to
Michael D. Sullivan

AT&T (or if appropriate AT&T Inc.) is used on all notices to retirees (I am retired trom Southwestern Bell, which adopted the AT&T name after acquiring the former AT&T. Notices about benefits (and payment addresses where applicable) all use AT&T. (The logo with the lower case letters may appear on the document somewhere, but never as part of the text.) Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
wesrock

True.

In my humble opinion, there is a great deal of confusion between the old and new AT&T. They are very different companies, but many people think today's AT&T is the old powerful nationwide "Ma Bell" when it is not.

Accordingly, in my humble opinion, to avoid that confusion today's at&t should be referred to in lower case. The company did, after all, adopt a new logo.

I don't think the carriers publish stats anymore, but I wonder who are the biggest carriers in terms of various measures--employees, number of landlines (full service), number of landliness (physical loop only), number of wireless lines, revenues, etc.

Reply to
hancock4

They are using "Clear" as their brand name and their brand color is green. They never mention Sprint. I know two people who work for them.

Here's a little information about their relationship with Sprint:

formatting link

-- John Mayson

formatting link

Reply to
John Mayson

I do the same. I used to work for the old AT&T.

Here in Austin we have "AT&T Labs" (formerly SBC Labs). Their sign has the modified "Death Star" logo with "at&t" below it and next to that is says "AT&T Labs" in a very plain font with that capitalization.

formatting link
John

Reply to
John Mayson

I agree. The present at&t is not the company who brought us Bell Labs and Western Electric. And the new at&t is arguably still only one of the Baby Bell spinoffs from the 1984 DoJ breakup of (the real) AT&T.

The new logo with "at&t" has become ubiquitous:

although "AT&T California" also appears on that phone book JPG.

What to do, what to do, ... :-)

Reply to
Thad Floryan

Southwestern Bell, later SBC Corporation, now AT&T Inc., is not just "one of the Baby Bells." SBC Corporation acquired Pacific Telephone (and its subsidiary, Bell of Nevada, Ameritech, itself a merger of seveal other Bell companies, Bell South and Southern New England Telephone Company. All before buying the (old) AT&T and changing its own name to AT&T. It includes all of the old AT&T, such as remained at that time. Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

--- StripMime Report -- processed MIME parts --- multipart/alternative text/plain (text body -- kept) text/html

Reply to
wesrock

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.