How many paths for ported-out numbers?

I have some questions about "paths" (as ATT calls them in its California tariffs) for remote-call-forwarding numbers and how they differ from "paths" for ported numbers.

First, here's my understanding of RCF paths. Standard ATT residential remote call forwarding service ($17 per month) will permit only one call to be forwarded at a time; any additional calls made to the RCF while a call is already in progress will get a busy signal. ATT would say that this RCF service has one "path." An RCF subscriber can subscribe to additonal paths for $17 each per month. So for roughly $85 per month, the RCF service could have a total of five paths. (The pricing and path particulars are the same for business RCF service.)

I wonder whether ported numbers are similarly set up. For example, say that for my business I have the Verizon Wireless cellular number

343-999-5050 (fictitious area code for this example), and the business grows such that I convert the Verizon Wireless number to a landline and make it the head number of a five-line hunt group. Of course, this five-line hunt group would accommodate up to five inbound calls at once, but because all of the calls are routed to me via a Verizon Wireless switch, I'd guess that my quantity of simultaneous inbound calls via 999-5050 would be determined by how many paths Verizon Wireless establishes for my number on their switch. And if Verizon Wireless gives 999-5050 only one path, 999-5050 would be much less useful to my business.

So my question is this: Do FCC rules or state regulations say that any company (of any type: cellular or CLEC or ILEC) that owns a switch must provide an adequate or minimum quantity of call paths for a phone number that has been ported out from the switch and is now receiving a volume of calls that would require the additional paths?

(I'm not in the telecom industry, so please correct any errors or misconceptions that you see in my text above.)

***** Moderator's Note *****

I don't think any restriction applies on a ported-out number: your old wireless switch would almost never know the call existed.

When you port a number out, from any kind of switch, the number goes in the national database of ported tn's. Then, when someone calls that number, the _originating_ switch will "dip" the database, and obtain the routing number associated with you _new_ serving central office. The originating switch then routes the call as it would any other, and no interaction with your _former_ central office is needed.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Reply to
xx-google
Loading thread data ...

Right. When they were figuring out how to implement portability, one of the alternatives they considered and rejected was one that did it by call forwarding. As Bill notes, LNP completely removes the former carrier from the path of calls to a forwarded number. This was a good move, since if they had routed calls through the old switch, carriers would have an incentive to make calls to ported away numbers work as poorly as possible.

Reply to
John Levine

When numbers are 'routed', how are they routed? Is there some other way to represent where a number "goes"?

Reply to
Rick Merrill

The answer to that gets -complicated-.

Before 'portability', each telco maintained a list of where ad *WHO* they handed off calls to any given NPA and/or NPA/NXX to. If the call didn't terminate 'locally' in the telco's network, they would consult the routing list, and see who to hand it off to. *THAT* carrier was responsible for delivering it to the proper called party.

With 'portability', it is no longer practical or each telco to keep a static list of the required hand-offs. THEREFORE, a national database was set up that contains records for all ported numbers -- the number, and the telco that services it.

This database is available for *real*time* querying by dial-tone providers.

With that schema in place there are three possible ways that call routing can be done:

1) *every* number is in the database -- an 'inconsequential' detail is whether all numbers expressly enumerated, or whether there is provision for a 'default' for blocks of arbitrary size. Then, at the beginning of every call, the caller's "swith" does a database 'dip', to see what carrier to route the call to. 2) ONLY 'ported' numbers are in the database. A 'dip' is done during initial call set-up, and if =that= query returns "no match", the old- fashioned 'static' list is consulted, and the call routed according to _that_ data. 3) As in 2), only ported numbers are the database. Procedurally,it is different -- the calling switch consults the static list *first* and starts a call toward that destination telco. *IF* that telco says 'not mine', *THEN* the database 'dip' is done to find the proper carrier.`

Whichever method is actually used, the information required to hand off the call to the appropriate destination phone company is acquired and used.

Every telephone company has a database of 'what phone number is associated with what wire-pair (or logical equivalent) out of which central office".

It was just a SMOP ('small matter of programming') a little more 'generalization' to that database, and the 'look-up' logic so that the number was no longer required to b in minimum-sized 'contiguous' block of numbers.

Either the number exists on the telco system or it _doesn't.

If it does, the line gets rung.

If not a 'not in service,' or a 'not mine' is propagated back to the calling switch, for it to decide to try alternate routing, or abandon the call attempt.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Well, sort of. There are still static tables that map each NPA-NXX to a switch. In some areas, they suballocate NXX by thousands so

222-1XXX might be on one switch and 222-2XXX on another.

That's what they actually do. The database maps each dialed number to a routing number. For numbers that haven't been ported (most of them) there's no entry and the routing number is the dialed number. For ported number, the routing number is one that is assigned to the switch. A confusing part of this is that as the call is routed and delivered, both the dialed and routing number are passed along, so it's fine to use the same routing number for all calls to a given switch.

There's actually a database per LATA (perhaps several in really big LATAs). For intra-LATA calls, the originating switch does the database dip. For inter-LATA calls, the IXC does the lookup at its tandem in the terminating LATA. This setup avoids having every switch in the country have to know how to look up every number in the country; the switch just has to be able to route intra-LATA and default to the appropriate IXC tandem for inter-LATA calls.

RFC 3482 has a good description of this whole process.

Reply to
John Levine

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.