Can CAT6 Cable Share Phone/100Mbit Ethernet?

I currently have a CAT6 cable running from my hub to jack behind my tv. Actually, there is an 8-pin jack by the hub and then one by the tv with the CAT6 cable connecting the two. This allows me to have an Ethernet connection behind the tv.

I am only using 100MBit and do not have a need to do Gigabit Ethernet in this configuration.

What I would like to do is use the existing cable and have a phone line run out behind the tv. I do not believe all 8 wires are used in

100 MBit Ethernet.

If this is technically doable, is there a "splitter" of shorts where I can take the two 8-pin jacks I already have and split it into a phone jack and then an Ethernet jack? Does Radio Shack or anyone sell something like this?

I am willing to rewire it myself if needed. Any pointers or web sites that discuss this? I searched around and found some things that might help but nothing that directly describes how to do what I want to do.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
JR
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.