California phone service apparently going down the tubes [telecom]

I dropped landline service in 2002 because the cost (then) was becoming ridiculous, thus I haven't been aware of how much worse it's become.

In Dave Lazarus' column in today's Los Angeles Times:

there's this tidbit at the end:

" [...] " Speaking of reticence, no one at the California Public Utilities " Commission got back to me when I wrote last week about a state " Senate report on how consumers have gotten short shrift since the " telephone market was deregulated in 2006. " " This week, the commission issued a response: " " " " State regulators say they're miffed that Senate investigators " don't think they're doing a good job of safeguarding consumers " from runaway phone rates. " " "I am disappointed that the report focuses on only a few parts " of the CPUC's efforts to protect and help consumers instead of " recognizing all of our efforts, which are substantial and only " getting better," declared Paul Clanon, executive director of " the agency. " " He said the report "chooses to zero in on large rate increases " for add-on services that not everyone buys, such as unlisted " numbers," rather than citing lower costs for basic phone service, " when the costs are adjusted for inflation. " " As I observed in my column, " " " " those large rate increases include AT&T jacking up its fee for " an unlisted number by more than 600% and its charges for call " waiting and call forwarding by about 86%. " " "Protecting the interests of consumers is what we do, and we do " it well and thoughtfully," Clanon said. "We are constantly " improving and refining our internal processes to give consumers " the best care and assistance possible." " " All appearances to the contrary notwithstanding.

Reply to
Thad Floryan
Loading thread data ...

I believe that Clanon was trying to shine Mr. Lazurus on. My basic exchange service for AT&T (SBC, Pacific Bell) increased by some 25% this year. And, non-bundled Caller ID is now $9.95 per month. As we know, wireless and VOIP providers throw in Caller ID for free.

Wireless and VOIP providers have true competition. Wireline carriers, with limited, slight exceptions, are not competitive providers.

For shame on the California PUC.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.