Why I Don't Do Service for Other Companies

I have been in that very situation many times. It depends on the attitude of the AHJ. If it is a large municipality odds are there is no give. In a small town perhaps. As a company we have to follow the straight and narrow and always go "whole hog". Sometimes the customer understands and sometimes not. We don't do much residential work to begin with, especially small retrofits. The residential we do get it is mostly the byproduct of doing a commercial job where you "have to" take care of the house too. Those typically are larger residential with larger budgets. But as you probably know some folks with plenty of bucks are the worst tightwads. It is always an issue to be overcome. The ones who insist on one smoke get the "see ya" registered letter and the panel is deprogrammed to Central and unlocked for any other dealer who wants the business. Let someone else fund the attorney enrichment program. There is a lot of aggressive enforcement here, and that is probably a good thing for the most part. I know of several techs going to court right now (over different issues of "trying to be helpful") who might have seen your logic and considered the single smoke before they got popped, but not now I'm sure. As they say "No good deed goes unpunished".

Reply to
Roland Moore
Loading thread data ...

Any details on this? What are these guys supposed to have done?

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

One was for an out of town customer in a BIG hurry. The company signed the contract, plans approved etc. and all was in order except the city had yet to issuse a permit to post on the job. Hounded by the customer who already scheduled sheetrockers, and his own boss (boss didn't want to pay out of town rates for him to sit and do nothing), the tech began prewire WITHOUT a posted permit (because he thought everyone else would "understand"). The AHJ was not pleased and didn't understand. Now he can tell it to the judge. And it's not a Mickey Mouse fine, it's at least $300.00 could be well over a grand. I guess it depends if they nail him by device or just the prewire. He should have gone home instead. As they say "No good deed goes unpunished".

Reply to
Roland Moore

Even if he has to pay the fine (which is stupid, in light of the fact the plans were approved) it's still gonna be cheaper than postwiring and attic crawling. That is unless they made him pull the wire out...which would be triple stupid.

And it most cases; it's easier to obtain forgiveness, than approval.

| >>I know of several techs going to court right now (over | >>different issues of "trying to be helpful") who might have seen your logic | >>and considered the single smoke before they got popped, but not now I'm | >>sure. As they say "No good deed goes unpunished". | >

| > Any details on this? What are these guys supposed to have done? | >

| > - badenov | >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Here in Florida, if a building official wants to persue this through state guidelines, on an installing dealer that doesn't pull a permit prior to commensing work, the installing dealer is subject to fines, up to $2,500, and disciplinary action against his license ie; suspension and probation and even revocation. That ain't so Mickey Mouse. I just listened to some of these license complaints at the ECLB board meeting, last Thursday, during the disciplinary hearing portion of the meeting. It can be an eye opener.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

yah but this wasn't the case (as least how i read the op)...this just sounds like the plans were approved but the building dept just hadn't posted the sticker on the job yet.

| > And it most cases; it's easier to obtain forgiveness, than approval. | >

| | Here in Florida, if a building official wants to persue this through state | guidelines, on an installing dealer that doesn't pull a permit prior to | commensing work, the installing dealer is subject to fines, up to $2,500, | and disciplinary action against his license ie; suspension and probation and | even revocation. That ain't so Mickey Mouse. I just listened to some of | these license complaints at the ECLB board meeting, last Thursday, during | the disciplinary hearing portion of the meeting. It can be an eye opener. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

According to the AHJ's around here, as long as the application has reached their office (along with the check, of course) then we are okay to start wiring. We don't have to necessarily wait for the permit to come back.

There have been days when my boss and I have left the office at the same time (or there-abouts) I was going to the job site, he was going to the county office.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

I guess it all depends on how "anal" the Inspector is. Around here they're pretty reasonable to deal with unless of course you haven't even bothered to submit a permit application before commencing work. Then they'll nail your ass for double the usual permit fee. If that happens too many times in a row, then your business license may not be renewed (or even pulled).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.