Is it legal to have surveillance cameras at home?

I am a tenant who has suffered repeatedly from petty thefts that have taken place over the last 3 weeks.

My landlady wants to install surveillance cameras with video and audio in the common area (excluding the bathroom) but is apprehensive that the other tenants will complain about invasions of their privacy and possibly take legal action against her.

I would appreciate it if someone could give me some insight into laws on surveillance cameras in the state of Washington.

I am posting on behalf of her as she is not net savvy.

PS - Common area does not include rented rooms.

Reply to
cousin.it.addams
Loading thread data ...

Survaillance (video) is not/should not be a problem in the common areas. Some may resent it at first but it goes away. If they "really" don't like it, they can move. Recording audio is problematic almost everywhere without consent, prior to recording, from all parties. There are both local State laws and Federal laws to investigate prior to recording audio.You are not going to get this consent in the application you are talking about. It would be best to consult with an attorney, the Washington State Attorney General office, the Washington State Alarm Association, the National Burglar and Fire Alarm Association, etc. that have knowledge about the State of Washington and Federal law. You will get alot of opinions from a forum like this, but they are just that, "opinions". Don't get into trouble while trying to do something for the good of the community by making an uneducated decision or one based on opinions. Let us know what you find out. It will be an education for all of us. Good luck!

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Thank you for the feedback. I have e-mailed the Washington Attorney General's office with my doubts.

Bob Worthy wrote:

Reply to
Cousin It

Well, if they are good Republicans, they will understand that total surveillance is fine. After all, as the Repubs say, "If you have nothing to hide, you don't need to worry".

Reply to
Karl Magnus

Heh, heh, heh... :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

It's always best to check with a lawyer concerning any type of surveillance. Not only do laws vary from state to state, but there could be some sort of local ordinance against whatever you're trying to do. As a general rule, video surveillance is permitted wherever there isn't a reasonable expectation of privacy. For instance, in a bathroom, hotel room, or private office, there is a reasonable expectation of privacy and video surveillance is usually not allowed. In a lobby, open shared workplace, or most anywhere outdoors it is fine. Obviously, covert cameras are more likely to raise an eyebrow since they imply spying. We generally post a sign or place a window sticker in an obvious location to inform anyone who cares that their activities may be video recorded or monitored remotely. CCTV is very widely used in apartment complexes, condos, and hotel common areas.

Reply to
J.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.