WaterFlow Recommendations?

Hello to All,

My insurer has required me to add a central station monitored water flow sensor to my Ademco 50p security system. The incoming water line is 3" and branches to feed domestic water as well as the sprinkler system. The branches are 1". The plumber and CS will be certifying the installation to the insurer.

Any recommendations as to brand, model, type, et cetera? Any warnings?

Thanks.

Don

Reply to
don
Loading thread data ...

A licensed plumber should be supplying an acceptable waterflow device. You will probably need to tamper the gate valve as well.

Potter & System Sensor are brands That I have used in the past.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

You'd best have a firesprinkler guy add the waterflow. There aren't that many brands to choose from on the waterflow switch itself, your firesprinkler installer will know what you need. If you are required to have an outside bell, make sure you have a waterflow with two switches; one to trip the alarm and one for the bell. Other stuff may be required depending on the installation and AHJ. You may also need tamper supervision.

AND I don't theink the 50P is UL listed for Commercial Fire.

In my area we also need two phone lines for waterflow...so you'd need a dual phone line switcher (at least here we do)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Thanks, Jim.

The plumber said he would research with his suppliers and would accept any research I could give him. I will look up Potter. System Sensor is the only one that really has come up in my Google searches. Ademco has a wireless receiver but seems to not have the sensors.

BTW, I have removed my initial posting query and refined it somewhat so I can search on Ademco as well as Water.

Thanks again.

Don

Reply to
don

I don't recommend using any plumber that hasn't installed a sprinkler system. Look in your local yellow pages.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Hello, Crash,

You guys are fast. Omitting the 2.5 years of sad story, I have fired my general contractor and his plumbing sub on this residential project. I have pieced together new subs with great difficulty because few people, esp those with licenses, are willing to go through the hassle dealing with New York City.

I may look for a sprinkler installer if it does not upset the only licensed plumber willing to assume the job completion. Whoever does the install will know if I have to go through all the particulars of installation to which you refer and hence the probable deconstruction-reconstruction hassle that may attend.

Thanks for the details.

Don

Reply to
don
6 storey town-home?

Hopefully you will find someone qualified to complete the installation.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

System Sensor manufactures several different models of water flow and supervisory sensors.

Get some further clarification on the type of monitoring your insurance provider is requesting and whether-or-not your exising control is going to satisfy their requirements.

Good luck!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Don,

Welcome to New York City Fire Codes. You have to let the group know all the information! New York City Fire Codes are completely different from most of the rest of the country. UL don't matter. FM don't matter. You are probably going to come under Local Law 16 for Sprinklers in NYC and the AHJ will amaze you as to their requirements. I have been in the alarm business for going on 33 years and even I don't want to get involved in Local Law 16.

You will probably have to contract with a COMPANY who is MEA Approved for Fire Alarm monitoring and all the various licensing requirements of a PFA company. A different world to non NYC approved companies.

I can personally recommend three companies that I use for fire alarm work in New York City. NEW YORK CITY FIRE ALARM COMPANY (Rick Bisnoff)

718-352-2800 ( snipped-for-privacy@VERIZON.NET) or STATEWIDE FIRE ALARM COMPANY (Kenneth Gould) 718-494-6798 ( snipped-for-privacy@STATEWIDECS.COM) or AMERICAN SECURITY SYSTEMS (Steve Wasserman) 718-784-2880 ( snipped-for-privacy@AMSECSYS.COM).

Each of them are fully qualified to assist you in complying with the applicable NYC codes. You will need to provide certified architectural plans as well as type of structure, etc.

Tell each I referred you from the group. They do get many fishermen who quite shocked as to the requirements that you are facing. This way they will be able to give you the time you will need to explain your problems.

NYC Fire codes are now the BIG leagues. Don't be mislead. It can prove to be VERY expensive if you do it wrong. You could install an entire system wrong and have it rejected at the end and have to start from scratch. The AHJ can shut you down and refuse your Certificate of Occupancy for the premises and actually have the premises evacuated. They have the power and don't compromise. The codes are VERY specific.

Patrick Burke ALARM LEASE AND SERVICE COMPANY

Frank Ols> snipped-for-privacy@blacktide.net wrote:

Reply to
p burke

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.