2 Waterflow Switch Questions

(1) If the inspector's test valve is not accessible (blocked by more stuff than I can move) can I use the main drain to test the waterflow?

(2) I performed 5 fire inspections at different locations last week and not one waterflow switch worked. Is that unusual? Some switches had not been tested since 2010.

Reply to
ssmith39 .
Loading thread data ...

f than I can move) can I use the main drain to test the waterflow?

ot one waterflow switch worked. Is that unusual? Some switches had not been tested since 2010.

main drain will not work for a test must open inspectors test to have wate r flow

flow switches typically have 30-90 second retard time before they activat e you must flow water thru test point for 1-2 minutes for accurate test.

Why are you inspecting and testing systems in first place these are questio ns even a rookie sprinkler inspector would know if you are not qualified to properly do these tests you should not be doing them you are also more tha n likely violating a state law depending where you are doing them if not li censed etc.

Reply to
NickMark

The inspector's test valve mimics the flow of water through one sprinkler head - and ensures that amount of water flow is enough to trip the switch.

Using the drain, assuming the drain is AFTER the flow switch, is not a good test - to much water flow - and could easily mean that if there is a fire and one or two heads pop, the alarm won't sound. If the drain is before the switch you would just be wasting water.

If the valves are not accessible, you need to either move the stuff or impress upon the building owners/occupants the importance of this test and ask for assistance in accessing them. If the Fire Marshall were to show up to do a test, he wouldn't be nearly as accommodating. Their insurers won't be very understanding either in the event the is a loss incurred and it comes to light you hadn't tested the system properly.

As for the flow switches;

When the switch didn't work, was it that the switch, when thrown, did not cause alarm or was the amount of flow not enough to trip the switch? Did you manually test the switch to see if it operated? Did you open the switch housing to see if the wiring had been altered?

When I do a fire alarm test and something doesn't work, I do my best to be able to explain why - don't always get to the exact reason, but you should be able to narrow it down enough that follow on troubleshooting won't take too long.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Another excellent point

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.