vonage 911 service

You mean another planet

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L
Loading thread data ...

In NYC the VoIP 911 calls were routed to the line and answering system that police officers use when they call in sick.

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

Well that explains everything now, doesn't it??

Frank Olson

formatting link
"Am I going MAD, or did the word "think" escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic land mass." Vizzini - The Princess Bride.

Reply to
Frank Olson

"I have trusted Bell for the better part of 60 years, no need to drop them now."

Holy Sh#? Bob.......Now everyone's going to challenge "the better part of 60 years"......

Now let's see...how old were you when you got your first phone? Let say, around 20 years old...so that means you've only trusted Bell for about 40 years......But since you've USED a phone since you were 3 years old (when your mom let you talk to grandma) that means you've trusted Bell for, let see...going on 57 years. And since you may have lied about your age....It may only be 55 years.......

See what you started....... There goes the ASA

Norm Mugford

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford

Hey, no need to apologize, VOIP is made to confuse people. I get people all the time telling me how good VOIP is. But when you cut off all the BS, its all about cost. I explain that I could care less what something can do, I look at what it CAN NOT do. If I CAN NOT get help when I need it, it ain't worth the savings to me. I'm that frigging important to myself that I'm worth every extra penny to protect me! If they don't see themselves worth a cow's dropping, go with VOIP!

Reply to
Jen...tel

3-4 years old is my first recollection of using a phone. My father was in the Korean war and we stayed with grandma. I remember bits and pieces, but more of what I was told by my mother. When the phone would ring, I would run to answer in case it was my dad. No such luck. It was always the operator making a connection. I do remember getting in trouble, because I would pick it up on someone elses ring.

Just Google bASS and you will see that anything goes here in the newsgroup

about your age....It may only be 55 years.......

In that case, I guess that does make you much older than me.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Jen...tel hey, that's kinda cute: gentle did you intend that or am I just a hopeless romantic?

I concur. I feel slightl cognitive dissonance though, I just don't think it's there yet. I'd like to think 2 pair copper is still going to overcome. I sure like that talk battery.

*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
formatting link
Reply to
mikey

For some folks that's true. For others cost is only one element of the purchasing decision and not necessarily the primary one. I chose VoIP because it allows me to take my telephone with me to Brazil where I have a second home and office.

The VoIP phone stations I bought cost about $300 apiece. Each worker has one. We can transfer or forward calls from any location to any other -- even to the other side of the world -- at the touch of a button. Our VoIP auto-attendant software works better than any of the hardware based solutions I've tried.

The monthly cost of the service is slightly higher than what I was previously paying for Verizon land lines, but we now have 17 lines in hunting vs. the three lines we used to have.

If that were the case with my provider, I'd also have looked elsewhere. The 911 interface they provide works as follows: Each user fills in an online form with our name, address, name and phone numbers of local police, fire and ambulance services. If anyone on my VoIP network dials 911 the call is routed directly to the appropriate facility.

What we don't get is 911 type display of our name and address at the emergency call center. We have to give them our name and address.

Because I only use VoIP service for my business, I still have Verizon POTS lines at my home. Those can contact 911 in the normal manner. Also, my DSL service rides on an active phone line which can be used to dial 911 or to make other calls in the event the DSL service goes down.

If the auto-attendant system goes offline, their switch will temporarily route incoming calls to the POTS number. That has nothing to do with 911 though. It's just an extra feature that I like.

Well, you're certainly in the right newsgroup. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"For others cost is only one element of the purchasing decision"

Mr. BAss forgot to mention that "wiretaps" are not yet covered under US law for VOIP and cannot be eavesdropped.

Convicted Felons know all the tricks.

Norm Mugford

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford

Do you pay taxes on the "office" there? How do they compare to what you pay in Florida? What are the licensing requirements for selling equipment over the phone in Brazil?? How's the new central station coming? I don't think "thatch huts" will qualify for the UL fire listing, but I'm sure if you upgrade to wattle and daub on the main bearing walls, you can probably go for the Brazilian Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

You've obviously purchased more than one. How many "workers" do you have?? Two?? Three?? Five? Half a tribe?? A village??

I'll bet. You can probably even program it to recognize a customer's phone number and route him to the "please leave a message" section, versus "friends and family" who actually get to speak to a real live "family member" (I won't say "prick" because that's only going to provoke another one of your classic responses).

Is it just me or does anyone else think it strange that with "17 lines in hunting" and a "VOIP phone" for every "worker", a caller still has to leave a call back message??

They have "911" in the jungle?? Let's see... the call would get routed to a call "centre", and transmitted by tom-tom and log drum to the "appropriate authority", right?. I sure do hope the medicine man isn't too old and can still run fast. :-)

Of course. That's a great service. You're in the middle of having a heart attack, can't breathe and you're going to what??? Tap out your address in "Morse code" on the phone receiver all the while praying the operator can understand you?? :-)

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.