VoIP transmission troubles

I'd like to hear from some of the regulars about their experiences with alarm transmission over VoIP.

I have one customer who without my knowledge changed to VoIP from a Bell line, and then asked me to hook up the panel using his new service. I did so reluctantly, but only after he signed a legal agreement limiting liability, and with the express understanding it was being done experimentally. I programmed in a daily test and kept watch each morning for failures to communicate. It seemed to stop transmitting only very occasionally, until one day it started sending "ghost" signals which resulted in a police dispatch on the wrong account number. The panel was programmed in Contact ID, but it seems when the signal went out on the network, it transposed a "6 " in the account code for a "5". Then the comedy of errors increased when the station failed to check the CID (where they would have picked up that it was coming from the wrong phone number) and dispatched the police. Needless to say, I had an unhappy client who couldn't understand why the cops arrived...(and yes, the account number in the panel IS properly programmed...).

Bottom line, I disconnected the customer's service until and unless the client chooses to get a proper communication medium. He claims there are other companies who will hook him up successfully, but I suspect they just might be more interested in his business than his security system. The problem is of course, they could tell him anything about his alarm and he would likely agree, not ever really knowing if the panel is communicating properly or not.....

Anyone else experiencing these kind of problems and if so, have you come up with any solutions (other than the obvious one of getting proper phone service). I hated to lose this client of many years, but at least for the moment, I don't see any other alternative if it's affecting other customers.

Reply to
tourman
Loading thread data ...

It's just another reason to lease the customer a GSM radio. DSC has a new panel coming out soon with built in GSM.

Jim Rojas

tourman wrote:

Reply to
Jim Rojas

RHC: Problem is of course, for the cost of the lease of a GSM radio, he could simply go ahead and put in a proper phone line. It always seems to come down to cost with some folks....:((

Reply to
tourman

No way, do tell Master Jim......

Reply to
Russell Brill

Would you mind telling what panel/model you are using????

Reply to
ABLE_1

We have had the same issue. Some of our rural phone providers are going digital also, which is reaking havoc on other accounts with bogus signals. Unfortunately, some of these areas have zero GSM coverage with the Honeywell or Telgard radio/cell backup. 4x2 seems to help over CID. But, the problem still exists. Our only option has been an internet communicator. We lease the radio and a UPS for the router and modem. The customer will need a broadband service. For the comunicator to send a test signal every few minutes has little effect on the bandwith.

Reply to
Rob

RHC: It's a Paradox Esprit 738 panel.

Reply to
tourman

RHC: To their credit, ADT early on said that their salesmen were not to sell an alarm to customers who didn't have a conventional land line. However, that was several years ago, and I would be interested to hear if they have since come up with a solution. They stand to lose more than most with the tidal wave of people switching to VoIP for their phone service. Is there anyone here from ADT who might be able to answer that question ?

Reply to
tourman

You didn't like that panel tho, it's a version of the 9047

Reply to
Mark Leuck

VOIP & Security Alarm don't mixed.

Sending one account ID and received as another account ID on the other end is nothing new and there is no way around it. People can say whatever they want but there is just no way that alarm signal can be transmitted over VOIP in any reliable way. Putting a "*99" in front of the phone number seems to improve the success rate but it's still not 100% fool proof.

"*99" activates the "data mode" of the VOIP ATA for the duration of the call.

So if the client is not willing to upgrade to GSM or IP monitoring, then try this "*99" trick.

Reply to
A.J.

Reply to
Red

Have you done anything with your contract wording on the reliability?

Reply to
Red

Tried it a few times and don't anymore. It's not worth the anxiety.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

RHC: Thanks Crash ! I had hoped that something would change over time, but I see it hasn't.

Reply to
tourman

Not that I know. I keep looking from time to time though.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.