To catch a thief, Advice needed

We have a thief working at our company. He is very reliable and because of this, I think we can catch him on video.

What I want to do is install a hidden camera with a recorder and set out some bait in front of the camera. Of course, my budget is limited, so I am looking for advice on how to do this the most inexpensive and easy way.

Everything I have seen at the security websites are overkill. I only need a single channel of video, with the capability to record at least

1 week, but preferably 2 weeks with good resolution and at least 1 frame per second.

I am also wondering about installing the camera. I need a small camera, but good image quality in order to identify the culprit. But I have to hide the thing of course. I was thinking about using a fake mirror (mirror glass) but I'm not sure where get something like this. Or maybe one of those fake clocks or something with a built in camera....

Thanks for any help.... Dave

Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

You should be able to find a Web Camera with included software that allows time-lapse or motion-activated recording with your PC. I just saw one at Fry's Electronics that was intended for just this, it had Infrared LED's so it could see in the dark and a looong usb cable to your PC. Because it's Wired I expect it would be decent video. It was about $200.

Reply to
Joe Lucia

well you will need digital recording for that time, check out the GE VDR for a VCR priced DVR with Removable HDD. OR, check out the AvTech 4 channel DVR, they run anywhere from $250-500 depending where you buy it, and if you get one with LAN or not.

Then just buy a pinhole board camera, any manufacturer, BW if low light or if you need a wide angle lens, as those cheaper color pinhole cameras typically are 1/4" and not wide angle..

For a huge line of hidden cameras, check this link.

formatting link
Personally I typically only use the GE hidden cameras and they have some high quality ones, but there are lots of choices on that site for other options.

Rory

Reply to
cctvbahamas

formatting link
AvTech without LAN is normally found in Sams Club, etc.

Reply to
cctvbahamas

You can use a regular VCR along with an inexpensive camera. So just need to get a camera which will connect to a VCR.

Search google.com for the words... security camera price (Using the word price finds web sites which have items for sale on-line.)

formatting link

Reply to
Bill

There was a thief who frequented a local coffee shop and dipped into the jar where customers would put quarters for the morning paper. The owner of the store bought some UV dusting powder and dusted some coins in the jar. Then he put a UV lamp near the checkout register. When the thief paid for his morning coffee, his hands glowed. Perhaps you don't need something as elaborate as a camera.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

One of the employees at a friend's pharmacy many years ago was stealing other people's lunches. One day the proprietor placed a little ipecac in his sandwich and waited... :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I have a 960 hour capable VCR that I would sell cheap. Been taken off a job long ago. Been sitting in my office for a few years now.

Raymond

Reply to
Silicon Sam

WHAT!? When you figure a cheap 24 VHS VRT records 20 frames per seond in 24 hr mode I don't see why they wouldn't record at a couple frames per second for over a week. Also a few VRTs record at VRT rate for nearly 40 hrs on a T-160.

This guys is on the cheap. I tend to ignore customers who are on the cheap, but a few really have a niche where it is appropriate.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The VDR is a VCR but it has a Hard Drive, same price as a Time Lapse VCR.

A normal VCR wont cut it.

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Hey Thanks Rory. That GE VDR seems quite reasonably priced at $298 shipped. I am wondering if I can just stuff a standard 5.25" EIDE hard drive in it? The one with a pre-installed drive is way over priced if it's just a matter of installing a standard computer HDD.

The smoke detector camera looks like a good choice. I noticed there are some choices to be made with regards to the camera though. Maybe you have some advice. The standard camera comes with a selection of

2.5, 4, and 6 mm lenses, but then there are optional 8mm and 12mm lenses. I'm not sure what lens would work best. I am trying to cover just one corner of a small room (25'x25') and I don't have a need for a wide angle shot. I won't have control over the lighting, but it would usually be lit to a level where a person can get around without stumbling. The thief works during the daytime, and there are a couple windows in the room. So color or B/W? I'm not sure. My main goal here is to get a good identification image of this guy the first time around.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
Dave

We use a device called a Memocam. It is a combined camera (with motion detection) a PIR recorder and digital recorder all in one.

formatting link
We have found them excellent for certain situations.

Reply to
Les George

Just get the lens kit and you can change them if needed. 4 or 6 mm would probably do once you dont need the whole room. Also depends where you are mounting the camera and the distance from the camera to the view area, and width of the view area. (FOV)

Color is nice, but if you are unsure of the lighting level then you would best with BW.

The VDR can use regular IDE drives, the slower the better. Unformated also, dont do anything with them.

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.